New Tank!!! 60gallon Tall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LordMatthew34

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just picked up my new tank today. It's a 60 gallon tall and I can't wait to tear into it. A friend of mine said she was done with fish (after 30+ years of running aquariums) so I expressed interest and a few months later i've got a beautiful tank sitting in my garage. It's dirty, so i need to do some major cleaning, but other then that it's a beautiful tank. I'm kind of confused how the filtration works though. The back of the tank is cut off and there is a pump in one section, a bunch of blue balls in the middle, then some other weird stuff in the next, and a bag of charcoal or something in the end...I'll definitely be hitting you guys up when I get this thing up and clean. I plan on doing a fishless cycle before even attempting to put fish in.

She was nice enough to kick down some cool lava rocks too. When I go to clean this thing, what types of cleaning materials should I use? When cleaning rocks or what not, do i let them soak in bleach? Any helpful info you guys can pass down is much appreciated. I want to make this a brand new tank and start from scratch. I already have my API Master Test kit ordered offline and on it's way.

Thanks in advance.

wow! u did well for yourself. that's a nice big tank you've inherited.

if possible it's better not to use any detergent or bleach. hot water and a sponge should be able to clean up the glass. i would try boiling the rocks rather than soaking them in bleach.

good luck with setting up your new tank!

Take care when boiling rocks... Any air pockets could fill with gas... Then go boom boom!

Back
Top Bottom