new tank mates and nitrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rudfudge

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys. Ive recently added 5 corydoras to my 55g tank. Its been cycled with 3 fish 2 gouramis and a horse face loach. There is now 7 as i removed the dwarf gourami. All the corys were doing fine until today. One of the corys has stopped swimming around like he has been all week and is just sitting at the bottom and only moves occasionally to find a new spot. Ive tested my water and ammonia and nitrites are at 0 and nitrates at 10ppm. Im doing a big water change tonight (40%) but was wondering if this is normal for a cory or if hes ill? He shows no visual signs of illness. Please help?!? :-s

If he doesn't move when you drop food in the tank, something's wrong. What's the water temperature, and what type of cories?

David

Hes an albino. I got 4 the same as him and one peppered. The temperature is at 26 at the minute. All the other 4 are really playful and all over the tank. I did the water change but no improvement and we just had feeding time but he hasnt fed. Hes breathing at a normal speed from what i can see.

Hes an albino. I got 4 the same as him and one peppered. The temperature is at 26 at the minute. All the other 4 are really playful and all over the tank. I did the water change but no improvement and we just had feeding time but he hasnt fed. Hes breathing at a normal speed from what i can see.

From time to time my cories do this- for some reason the albinos do it more than the others. So long as he is showing no outward signs of illness (clamped fins, spots, rapid breathing etc) id just keep a close eye on him for any changes. The pwc is always a good call :thumbsup:
Try dropping some de-shelled frozen peas in. It can't hurt, and it just might help.

Frozen peas. Ive never heard that before. Is that to eat? Ive read in a few places adding tonic salt can help? He hasnt really done anything for the whole 8 hours ive had the light on. Do you think this may be normal. Thanks guys

Frozen peas. Ive never heard that before. Is that to eat? Ive read in a few places adding tonic salt can help? He hasnt really done anything for the whole 8 hours ive had the light on. Do you think this may be normal. Thanks guys

Cories don't tolerate salt well. Yes the peas are for eating :) is there plenty of cover in the tank (plants, caves etc?)
I don't know about anyone else, but that behaviour, though infrequent, is typical for my cories. They'll have days where they zoom about just enjoying being a fish, days where they are wholly focused on scavenging and will bump into tank mates who are in their path, then there are days where they just want to rest. It used to freak me out (like my yoyo loaches did when they played dead) but I've come to accept it as a normal behaviour. If I'm REALLY concerned, I'll drop some frozen blood worm in. They can't resist it!
Just watch that its fins are not clamped, its barbels are intact etc

Thanks for the tips. Ive got a over sized ship wreck with loads of wholes and covers a stone cove i put together and plenty of artificial plants in there. Ive dropped a few peas in there now to see if he takes the bate. Ive picked him up in the net and he looked fine to me everything where it should be no spots sores or red patchea. With some persuasion he swam the length of the tank twice and was pretty fast but as soon as the net was gone he stopped again. Well the light is off for the night now so hopefully i will see a lively cory tomorrow

It does not sound like this fish will make it through the night, unfortunately. If it does, it won't be too long. It's not uncommon to lose a fish or two during the netting, transporting and acclimation process.

David

Unfortunatly he didnt make it til morning :-( I had a close inspection but no signs on his body. Do i treat the tank for anything or just another water change?

Unfortunatly he didnt make it til morning :-( I had a close inspection but no signs on his body. Do i treat the tank for anything or just another water change?

When in doubt run the tests again and do a good sized water change.

As has already been mentioned, sometimes fish just can't cope with the process of shipping to and from lfs and everything that's involved in that. :-(

Ive got the same readings as yesterday so maybe he was just unlucky. Thanks for the advice people :)

Back
Top Bottom