New tank need suggestions for a low light budget

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vapocalyptic

Aquarium Advice Activist
It's a twenty gallon long with sand from petsmart. Should I add a layer of floramax or a similar soil? Also the stock light is fairly week. Suggestions? I'm trying to keep it low budget. Did a lot of work with aquariums in the past but it's been years since I had one. Good to be back. Liking the tank so far but wish the middle driftwood would sink so I could ditch the rock! It's running an aqua clear 30. Need some other ideas on plants that could work at the moment with the current lighting.

Sent from my 710C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1423890817026.jpg
    1423890817026.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 65
I use straight sand, make sure it's at least 1.5-2" deep. I use Root Tabs for my Crypts and other plants.

If you add another layer, they will mix. It doesn't always end up pretty.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah should probably stick with the sand. Should I add the rest of the 20lb bag? Have roughly half of it left. Got a bio wheel 30 and 100w heater coming in the morning so now what I need is low light plants and possibly supplements.

Sent from my 710C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just don't exceed 3". I usually have the sand slightly shallower in the front to create a mild slope so that any detritus rolls to the front where I can see it and clean it.

I have MTS snails to keep sand clean and aerated.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom