New Tank, New Aggression?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dubs1281

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey everyone! I just completely redid my african tank. I changed gravel to sand, plants to rocks, and driftwood to more rocks. Before my fish were well mannered with one another, but now they are extremely aggressive towards one another. The aggression is spread out, so everyone its picking on everyone. Will this stop when everyone has their own turf? Side note, I am adding aquarium salt tomarrow.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130710_234351.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130710_234351.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 59
Hey everyone! I just completely redid my african tank. I changed gravel to sand, plants to rocks, and driftwood to more rocks. Before my fish were well mannered with one another, but now they are extremely aggressive towards one another. The aggression is spread out, so everyone its picking on everyone. Will this stop when everyone has their own turf? Side note, I am adding aquarium salt tomarrow.

I would just shut the lights off so there is no aggresion. They find spots. Then no probs!:)

Thanks, also I got two new guys, one is small, but not much more than the others, and then one which is barely and inch, the little guy is getting chased around more than others. No contact has been made, but should I be worried? He hides and never comes out.

Any time you change around the layout of the aquarium the fish have to establish their pecking order an territories again. In my experience it can take a couple days to a week for everything to settle back down.

Why are you adding aquarium salt?

Cichlids prefer it, especially lake Malawi's. The salt adds electrolytes into the water which enhances gill function. This way, the fish are less stressed, less aggressive, and color up faster.

Cichlids prefer it, especially lake Malawi's. The salt adds electrolytes into the water which enhances gill function. This way, the fish are less stressed, less aggressive, and color up faster.

Unfortunately that's a regurgitated internet "urban legend", plus theres no way aquarium salt is going to quell aggression. I've used the cichlid salts and the only difference I noticed was water changes took long because I had to mix some water with salt and my wallet was a little lighter.

The best way to keep stress low and have them color up fast is lots of water changes and a high quality pellet as a staple.

Unfortunately that's a regurgitated internet "urban legend", plus theres no way aquarium salt is going to quell aggression. I've used the cichlid salts and the only difference I noticed was water changes took long because I had to mix some water with salt and my wallet was a little lighter.

The best way to keep stress low and have them color up fast is lots of water changes and a high quality pellet as a staple.

Very well said.

Well thats why im here! Thanks for all the advice.

Back
Top Bottom