New tank prep

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spittinfly

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, IF I start a new tank what should I be doing right now?

I already have added 2 rocks and another plant into my current tank to transfer over with some bacteria on it. I also have some stockings that I figure I can load up with gravel and drop it in.

Would I put my current filter media in the new tank and just use the new one in my current tank? And when would I do a water change if I do remove the filter? I don't have a new filter pad to stuff in my filter now so I will probably have another one right when I am going to start it up.

Any other suggestions to get it going let me know.

Thanks

Once you have the new tank set up with whatever you are going to use as seeded bio as well as the rest of the decor and let the tank run empty for a few days. I run new tanks without fish 24 hours per 10 gallons, but that's me. You can use a small sprinkle of fish food to allow the bio to continue maturing. The first week...test on the fourth or fifth day to see if there's any ammonia registering yet. If so, then start testing for nitrite. Once nitrite start to show then test for nitrate. The tank will take some time to mature a cycle even if the tank is seeded with bio., though the time may be shorter by a couple of weeks. Once all levels are showing...test water twice a week for all levels until the cycle is mature...ammonia and nitrite zero and nitrate less than 30 ppm. Then you can start adding the fish one or two at a time. Allow a few days for the bio to adjust before adding more.

As always, TCTFish's advice is great, but I would like to add a couple of things.

First off, I didn't read about a source of NH3. What are you planing of doing? I doubt that fish food alone will be enough, without clouding the tank, to cycle it.

Second, you said you are transferring plants into this tank. What kind of planted tank is this going to be? If it is a heavily planted tank, I wouldn't even worry about cycling it. Just add a couple of fish and do the testing that TCTFish outlined and after a couple of weeks, add a couple more. This is commonly called a 'silent cycle'.

How many gallons is this new tank?

I did think if you could go without waiting on a cycle, it'd be helpful perhaps to use a little bit of a bio suppliment for the first two weeks...for that 'just in case' and as a temporary aid for the bio.

Thank you rkilling1 and thanks for the reminder...I meant to mention that frozen food are best for that...because there's an actually body part to decompose...shrimp, squid, even beef heart.

Gotta love this hobby...lol...

Thanks for the info guys. Nah they ar all just plastic plants and it was just to get the seed on them to transfer over. In any case it is already started and set up. Took two bags of substrate and 1/2 of a filter pad to seed it and filled it with mostly recently changed tank water. I now have 12 Molly fry in it and it has been about a week +/- (days all run together) and everything looks pretty good.

Good to read all is well so far. congrats. Hmmm...no names yet huh? Ya got 12...one for each of the zodiac...lol...or one per month...just a thought...good luck with the brood :)

Me personally? When I set up a new tank to add to my existing four?

I either:

A.) Wait until either Travis or I clean out a filter and steal Eheim cocoa puffs and stuff them in an old pair of nylons. Add to new filter with a stinky sponge or some stinky floss media from one of the running filters on one of our combined total of 6 tanks between our two houses, stuff them into the new filter, and jam on. 24 hours later, I start stocking my tank.

2.) If I can't beg Travis to clean out one of his monsters (he calls them his sons, they are actually industrial sized eheims or something like that, I don't know, all I know is I am jealous because I want one) because cleaning them out is a pain, and I have already raided all my own media for usable seeded stuffs, I set up my new tank, and seed the substrate layer with sand from my tanganyikan tank like I am making a lasagna. Then I sneak over to Travis's when he isn't looking and steal plants. I use them to seed also.

III.) If I have time, I'll seed rocks or media in either my tang tank or Travis's tank.

Quatro.) When I am feeling very organized, industrious and keen, I run an extra, old HOB stocked with just ceramic noodles and eheim cocoa puffs just for seeding for new tanks. I use that media and start my new filters off with that. I generally will run that on my tang tank, since it is currently the largest I have (I am hoping to change that....REAL soon [there is a 125 on the horizon...be afraid. Be very afraid. I smell either a S.A. planted or possibly A .....REEF coming on]).

Now, all this said, I tend to keep some worker fish on hand. Danios. Yes, I am a preacher of giving all fish equal treatment, and treating all fish as pets with respect, etc, etc. However, I also believe in breeding your own feeders, feeding live feeders, etc. Therefore I feel justified in keeping worker fish. They are well cared for while they work, and are never disposed of. Yes, they sometimes die in their duty. However they are not mistreated. They serve as cyclers during the times I am starting a tank (for about 3 days) then lived usually in the tang tank as dither/toys/entertainment for the cichlids. I do not endorse the 24 hour stock for everyone. I do it because I have no patience, and because I am confident enough to be dumb. So far, I haven't had any trouble. But I am telling the truth about my experiences.

I guess my disclaimer is: While I am more cavalier, it is better for most to be more cautious

How small are the fry? 12 little buggers in a 10 gallon tank with some established media should probably never need an unintended water change (due to ammonia/nitrIte). You did quite a good job stacking the deck in your favor, and it appears to have given you a non-cycle setup.

Congrats, and get us a pic of the tank with the fry if possible!

Yeah, the fry are about 1/4" to 1/2" long and it is a pretty cute little tank. My boy likes it and points at it and says "Bubble" meaning fish (which also means monkey because Curious George eats bubbles in the movie.... but I digress). Will work on the pics.

Well here are a couple of shots of the new 10 gal. It's my 2 yr old sons so he likes all the colors, all the plants are glow in the dark. The big bags on the bottom are the bags of substrate from the 35 gal. I also had to add a stocking over the filter inlet because the little suckers were getting sucked in :cry:

Attachments

• 10_gal_aa__200.jpg
    10_gal_aa__200.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 41
  • 10_gal_2_aa_146.jpg
    10_gal_2_aa_146.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 40
Back
Top Bottom