New Tank, seeking some tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lukeoslavia

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
First post here!

I have a 15G tank with 4 Danios in it and am planning to move them to a new 32.5G Fluval flex. I got it for a steal as it was a display model at Petsmart so I couldn't pass it up.

I am planning to move the Danios to this tank, and add 5-6 tetras and maybe another danio or two down the road.

I have a few questions I've been thinking about for the past couple of days though.

1) Should I move the gravel from the old aquarium to the new, in order to keep the bacteria going? if so,

2) I assume I should move the fish into the new tank right after taking the gravel? - (more of an uncertain statement than a question)

3) For anyone that may have a 32G Flex tank, are the nozzles from the pump able to provide enough surface agitation that I won't need an airstone or extra water moving pump?

I've only ever used airstones and just recently learned about surface agitation. If one could avoid this annoying air pump, one would be super happy about it!

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for any tips/help offered!

Attachments

• IMG-0169.jpg
    IMG-0169.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG-0171.jpg
    IMG-0171.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG-0172.jpg
    IMG-0172.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 28
Also, since I haven't asked enough already, any suggestions on stocking/tank mates for tetras and danios?

Yes.
i have three Zebra Danios with six Neon Tetras in my 10 gal tank.
They get along great. In fact, they completely ignore each other.

The only issue i have is when I feed...
The Danios rush to gobble everything up fast.
So I have to make sure the Tetras get some also.

The "bacteria" lives in your filter not your gravel, assuming the tank/filter is cycled which sounds like it is not?

Actually some bacteria also lives in the gravel,. rocks etc
However, I would just assume you basically have to cycle it from scratch.... .....perhaps using some "Tetra Safe Start Plus".
That can really speed up the cycle..

Actually some bacteria also lives in the gravel,. rocks etc
However, I would just assume you basically have to cycle it from scratch.... .....perhaps using some "Tetra Safe Start Plus".
That can really speed up the cycle..

I have been using Seachem stability. It's what I've used in my 15G and another small tank and it seems to do a good job.

As far as cycling I filled it mostly with RO water (with a remineralizer) and have added water from the old tank from a couple of water changes. I haven't seen any kind of ammonia spike yet, but it might just not have registered on my little hang-on ammonia meter. I added one of the new bio max packs in and was planning to add in the bio max pack from the old tank once I moved the fish over.

The PH is good, GH, KH, and there aren't any nitrites or nitrates that I can detect, so I was planning to move them over this weekend.

Seachem stability did not real work for me but Safe Start did .... rather quickly.

BTW, what it you ammonia level?
Also, a cycled tank will have some Nitrate but Nitrate in not nearly as toxic for fish as Ammonia or Nitrite are.
In fact, plants use the Nitrate so, some is necessary and plants help bring the nitrate level down .
Nitrate levels can be relatively high before it effects fish. Most just try to keep it about what is considered safe for fish
Even then there is disagreement about what is a safe level for fish and some even say not to worry about high Nitrate that much

So, no nitrate means a tank is not cycled
A cycled tank will have zero Ammonia and zero Nitrite.... and some Nitrate

BTW there is not really any good bacteria in the water. So you might be doing more harm than good using the old water.

According to my hang-in ammonia tester, it says there is 0ppm of ammonia. I never saw a spike in ammonia as I did in my 15g though.

Also, as far as nitrite and nitrate, my test strips don't register any in either of the tanks involved, maybe I'm just slightly colorblind though, as I can never tell where my PH levels are. I've tried liquid tests, and strips and I just can't ever seem to match it lol.

Cycling a tank will require more than adding some bacteria in a bottle stuff to your tank that really doesn’t do much other than spend your money. You need to establish a a strong healthy bacteria colony in your filter that will basically rid ammonia and nitrites. The nitrates will be the end result of the cycle and most aquarium fish will tolerate a small amount of it. The cycling process will take a good month or a bit more and this is where most newcomers fail, lack of patience, as it happened to me as well when I started about 40 years ago. I won’t get into the whole process of cycling, there are many good articles on the net on cycling a tank. Good luck with your new tank!

Safe Start does more than just add some good bacteria. It also adds some Ammonia to start the cycle Don't forget you need some Amoniea to start the cycle
How can this be bad?

The bacteria and Ammonia have to com from somewhere
Some just purchase and add their own Ammonia and then hope there is eventually some good bacteria somewhere. This is why it can usually take over a month to cycle.
Safe Start Just makes it much easier and quicker .:)

Safe Start does more than just add some good bacteria. It also adds some Ammonia to start the cycle Don't forget you need some Amoniea to start the cycle
How can this be bad?

The bacteria and Ammonia have to com from somewhere
Some just purchase and add their own Ammonia and then hope there is eventually some good bacteria somewhere. This is why it can usually take over a month to cycle.
Safe Start Just makes it much easier and quicker .:)
The ammonia content in safestart is there purely to help keep the bacteria alive in the bottle. There is nowhere near enough to help with the cycle.

Yes, but it also adds that needed ammonia to the tank
It may not be enough be enough in it self but, combing that Ammonia with what is already in the tank, together with the bacteria , can jump start a cycle
I speak from experience with it. :)

The ammonia content in safestart is there purely to help keep the bacteria alive in the bottle. There is nowhere near enough to help with the cycle.

Correct. For a fishless cycle, it’s best to use pure ammonia or ammonia chloride, adding a specific amount daily for a given period of time. Personally, I have always used the fish in cycle (no additives other than dechlorinator) but this takes a bit of patience. Seeding the cycling filter with bacteria from an established tank is the fastest way to go.
Cheers.

Yes but not everyone has access to bacteria from an establish tank.
There are a few ways to start a cycle,
Using Safe Start is just one of them and it can speed things up when you have no material from a cycled tank.
It worked for me. :)

So I haven't gotten the fish into the new tank yet, but that will be happening tomorrow. I wanted more decor in the aquarium and got that added in, but I also wasn't so crazy about the weir filter system on the 32G flex. I removed all of the Bio Max and carbon from that system and installed a Fluval 207 canister.

Tomorrow I will pop open the canister, add in a purigen pack, all of the Bio Max from the established tank, and then add the fishes.

I went searching and never found a guide to what proper surface agitation looks like, so the plan is to keep checking the fish to see if they are gasping.

Adding an external filter kinda defeats the purpose of the aio, I ran a 15 flex for over a year with no issues from the included media. In terms of surface agitation just point a return slightly towards the surface and I’d angle it diagonally across tank.

Adding an external filter kinda defeats the purpose of the aio, I ran a 15 flex for over a year with no issues from the included media. In terms of surface agitation just point a return slightly towards the surface and I’d angle it diagonally across tank.

I agree it does kind of defeat the purpose, but I like it better. I kept the intake in the filter housing and dremeled a slot for the output just outside of it. I could have connected the output to the included nozzle thing, and it would have looked like the tank came that way. I wanted the option to have another pump for flow in there just in case.

The biggest pluses to the canister for me are, it still looks clean, I can add in different media with far greater ease, and it's actually much quieter than the included pump while producing better flow. I like not having the mess of pulling out the sponge holsters over the tank as well. I've had canisters in the past, but never one of the Fluval's. So far I love it, and cleaning it is going to be a breeze.

Also, that's in line with what I've seen for agitation so far. At this point, I'm guessing it's a tank-by-tank basis and that's why no one is saying this is the perfect amount for you.

Back
Top Bottom