New tank setup...flowers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChelseaLake

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I get my first paycheck from this job tomorrow. I plan on getting a 55g with stand. I already have in my mind the way I'd like to decorate it. I need opinions.

I want it to solely be a fancy goldfish tank if that helps.

For the substrate, I'd like to use a natural gravel (it's what I already use and looks great). I'd also like to add some of those aquarium safe river stones.

Okay, then for decorations, I'd like to get these "balinese lantern" things I saw at Petsmart. One is kind of largish, the other kind of medium.

For plants, I was thinking of getting plastic aquarium flowers like hyacinths and water lilies. I mean, I just want them to have somewhere to hide, but something kind of different that allows them a lot of space to swim in. Do you think these flowers would provide my babies with enough hiding spaces? Or should I go with bushier plants (combomba I guess)?

I want the tank to be pretty, but the well being of my fish comes first to me.

It doesn't matter right now because I won't have the money to really get the thing set up for another month probably. Ugh. Then letting it stand before putting the fish in. UGH! Then cycling! Oh well. It's worth it. ;)

I know it doesn't answer your question, but I would read up on fishless cycling. It's a lot quicker, and obviously doesn't stress the fish.

Definately cycle the tank first!

But if you are only doing fancy goldfish, hiding places shouldn't be much of an issue. Decorate as you like.

Just be sure to anchor the fake plants well. Goldies are diggers, big time.

I did a little research on fishless cycling. I think I might want to try it, but I'm a little nervous. It seems like it would be better on the fish...you know...not making them the "work horses" of the operation.

And I laughed so hard the first time I put plastic plants in my first goldfish aquarium. Everbody said they'd dig them up, and they sure as heck did! Right as rain! I think it's cute! Little buggers are hungry. Thanks for the replies guys! <3

It seems like it would be better on the fish...you know...not making them the "work horses" of the operation.

Don't fear the fishless cycle! It is indeed 100% better on your future fish to go into a proper home than one tainted by poison.

It takes patience, but its better than posting on here later that your new goldies are dying...

And let us know how it goes!

Back
Top Bottom