New tank setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkmuller

Aquarium Advice Activist
After reading posts and my 5.5 g tank running fish less for a week and want my betta this weekend should I be concerned about no ammonia in water now but I do have a real plant I added and it is doing fine.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Can you be more precise. Have you been doing a fish less cycle by adding ammonia daily and now have zero ammonia or has the tank just been empty for a week. If it's the latter then your tank will not be cycled and adding fish is not wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

OK I will add this. I have had it empty for a month since my first betta passed. I sterilized it then let it soak with prime. I then rinsed it let it dry and then reset it up with all new gravel decor and a live plant. This has been running a week keeping it a steady 80 degrees. So I don't have all the ammonia readings due to no fish. My nitrates are at zero and pH 7.5 . I will be getting a good test kit but presently have a api 5 reading strip. But I did test with my glass testers for ammonia and pH I bought those separate a while a go . I want to put a fish in Saturday. Now I don't know if OK without ammonia readings.

I found a used filter and I am now seeding the tank and a small amount of the water in my tank plus a small flake of food I crushed small in the tank. I read this was good to feed my live plant. I will start the steps given above I got a master test kit and will give my readings later to make sure I am on the right track.

Api test readings no ammonia has been added yet. With these readings could someone tell me if I need to. nO3 0ppm, N02 0 ppm, Ammonia 0 ppm, High PH 7.4, PH 7.6. But remember I still have the old filter seeding behind new one in and placed where the water hits it first.

I guess once a fish is added the ammonia problem will start so adding amonia building up good bacteria should be started

OK thread added here . I was able to borrow a used filter running behind my new one plus added a very small amount of food. So yesterday I out 5 drops from a dropper to my tank of ammonia and the readings came right up to 4.0 on my tubes test . I will test it tonight curious what my readings will be. But I am in this for the long haul until safe for my fish. I totally understand now why this is done before fish are added.

Day two tested and ammonia staying at 2.0 nitrite 2.0 nitrate zero pH 6.5 and hardness now 180 and never was that high.

Should I add more ammonia on day 2

Back
Top Bottom