New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maestromad

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys after some adivce, :flowers:

I am looking to move into a larger (for my fish not me - i dont think i'd fit in one!!) :ROFLMAO:

Now I have the tank ready and empty but will be using the gravel, filter heater etc from my current tank, what is the best way for me to move my fish?

should i use some of the water from my current tank in my new one? I only have 6 guppies and 2 corys at present.

Any advice will be gratefully received, as i do not want to harm my little ones :thanks:

No need to move the water, but be sure to move all substrate & the filter to avoid a mini-cycle. And keep all media & substrate wet (with tank water) during the move.

Best way to do this is to get some buckets (clean, unused) for your fish. Drain tank water into bucket & move fish there for safe keeping. If you can do the rest of the move in an hour or less, that is all the fish needs. Otherwise, move the heater & run the filter in the bucket. <You will obviously need a fair size bucket if you run a filter ... say a 5 or 10 gal.>

Next, drain the old tank, and move all the substrate to the new tank. Make sure that does not dry out. Decorate new tank as needed, and fill with new dechlorinated water. Make sure the water temp match that of the bucket. Move heater & filter to new tank, and finally the fish. You are done!

Keep an eye on the levels for a few days. You might get a minor spike of NH3 or NO2, but nothing an extra pwc or 2 can't fix.

Thanks for that, I'm going to have to add some extra substrate. It should hopefully not take too long. I've been bitten by the bug and just want bigger and bigger tanks lol

Haha, it is hard not to get bitten by the bug. 1 tank turns into 5 tanks before you know it. I agree with jsoong, as long as you move all the established substrate and filter media, you shouldn't have any problems. I had a mini-cycle, but it only lasted 36 hours, so just do a water change if the parameters get high.

DO make sure you cover the buckets, or keep the water about 4 inches below the buckets rim. I sadly lost a Glowlight Tetra when he jumped out of my temporary holding tank during my move.

we moved 9 tanks when we moved into our house in June and used plastic 20 gal buckets to move the fish worked great now we have 16 tanks and I refuse to move

Gosh 9! I'm happy with one at the moment but def can't wait to get the bigger one up and running so I get some more friends for my corys!!

Funny how we just keep adding tanks. I started with a 29g and then got a 55g and now I'm looking for another 55g. Oh, and I have a 10g tank for any sick fish. It's just so addictive, but I love it.

Back
Top Bottom