New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trav1117

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thanks to this site, I've learned a lot about keeping fish. I'd like to send a thank you out to all who gave me advice and who wrote forums for myself to read and get ideas.

I was told before that my 35 gal was overstocked, so I finally got a hold of a 75 gal and the water hasn't been more clear, the fish's health came back and they all seem a lot more active!

So, just saying thanks

Trav1117 said:
Thanks to this site, I've learned a lot about keeping fish. I'd like to send a thank you out to all who gave me advice and who wrote forums for myself to read and get ideas.

I was told before that my 35 gal was overstocked, so I finally got a hold of a 75 gal and the water hasn't been more clear, the fish's health came back and they all seem a lot more active!

So, just saying thanks

Glad and all worked out!!

Trav1117 said:

So, just saying thanks

The site only works if people take the advice & put it to good use! Glad all worked out well for you & your happy fish!

Glad it worked for you. I feel the same way. Many on here are very knowledgeable about fish keeping. I too am glad this site exists. Happy fish keeping...

Really, I'm lucky I happened to stumble upon it. I've considered adding another bottom feeder since there's more ground to cover. I was told that an algae eater would pick up the slack from the pleco and also help with food clean up. I have 2 cat fish for that purpose alone.

If I added an algae eater, would that push me to my stock limit? Would you guys suggest that I add one or leave it be?

Trav1117 said:
Really, I'm lucky I happened to stumble upon it. I've considered adding another bottom feeder since there's more ground to cover. I was told that an algae eater would pick up the slack from the pleco and also help with food clean up. I have 2 cat fish for that purpose alone.

If I added an algae eater, would that push me to my stock limit? Would you guys suggest that I add one or leave it be?

Are you talking about a Chinese Algae eater? I have 2 & I love them but a lot people don't because they are known to get aggressive as adults & can suck the slime coat off of other fish, they don't typically like their own kind or others that are similar. Also, they don't eat algae forever which I think is true of a lot of algae eating fish.

shellieca said:
The site only works if people take the advice & put it to good use! Glad all worked out well for you & your happy fish!

I'll drink to that!! Very well said!

I'm not sure which kind it is. The clerk showed me a shark and an algae eater. The algae eaters looked a little like guppies, they were gold with black stripe and extremely fast, which would be suitable for the cichlids and goby.

I read on here earlier today that plecos will effectually stop eating algae. That was completely new to me! I guess they tend to like wood as they get bigger/older?

shellieca said:

I agree completely! I read a forum where someone was arguing with someone else who was trying to help. Really?!

The fish I was looking at looks like this one, but a lot smaller of course

algae-eater.jpg

Back
Top Bottom