new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adam petty

Aquarium Advice Activist
Right just bought a new tank. Which is 40 miles away so 80 mile round trip. The new tank is full of sand water fish and coral. It 180liters. So my question is what is the best way to move all this to my place. So that i dont loose anystock or create a water cycle cause this livestock will have to go back in there soon as i get back to mine?
Thanks

Right just bought a new tank. Which is 40 miles away so 80 mile round trip. The new tank is full of sand water fish and coral. It 180liters. So my question is what is the best way to move all this to my place. So that i dont loose anystock or create a water cycle cause this livestock will have to go back in there soon as i get back to mine?
Thanks

LOL I just did this. Get some 5 gallon buckets for the livestock. Place the live rock in a styrofoam container and cover it with some wet newspaper. Place the live sand in a bucket. Try to drain as much water from the sand as you can.

Now, I was moving a 120 gallon and so I also took 1/2 of the water as well, then mixed a new batch to fill it the remainder.

You'll need an air pump (although mine were in the 5 gallon bucket for 24 hours with no ill effects), and if its cold where you are your going to want to run a heater as well. I live in Florida so it wasn't needed.

Just remember when you place the sand back in use a plate when pouring the water in. It helps keep the cloudiness of the sand to a minimum.

Hope this helps you out. Good luck to you and with your move.

Yea thanks loads of help there. Yea pretty cold here im from wales. The only part id question is why take the sand bed out is it possible to leave it in the tank n just refill with water when back home?

Yea thanks loads of help there. Yea pretty cold here im from wales. The only part id question is why take the sand bed out is it possible to leave it in the tank n just refill with water when back home?

When I moved my saltwater tank I left the sandbed in the tank, good luck!!! Keep us posted!!!

You can but 2 inches of wet sand in my 5+ foot long tank weighed a ton along with the glass tank itself :)

You could it will be heavier! And when you put the fish back into the tank make sure it's around the same temp. Also if you get a bunch of foam coolers go get a bunch of big bags like what you get fish in from the Lfs and get some hot hands and wrap them in news paper it will keep Schiller warm for 24 hrs with out a heater !!

Ok thanks for help guys. Where do i get this foam from? Seen my lfs using these when they come back from collecting livestock.

I work at a fish store and we keep the boxes and if people need them we give them a few you could ask them for them

Ok thanks ill ask nicely tomorrow then. They should be ok cause they take alot of money off me lol.

Back
Top Bottom