New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LCieParagon

Aquarium Advice Activist
How often is one required to do water changes in a tank with no animals but highly planted? I haven't found much information on this.

Hi. Good question.
I've been digging around on the net and only found anecdotal advice and most seem to think about 10% every other week, just to keep the water fresh and to renew used up minerals.
Some people only top up evaporation but they didn't list the supplements and ferts that they used.
One of my tanks is just plant and loads of red cherry shrimp, nitrates never go over 10ppm but I change 25% of the water every week.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Mostly this would depend on if you dose ferts to put micro and macro nutrients into the water. If you never did a pwc your plants would use up many of the necessary minerals, etc and with no fish to help fertilize you would likely have an imbalance.

It would also depend on how your water is naturally. I have no KH out of the tap and this will mess with my tank pH making it unstable so I need to add minerals.

Plant tank I would do 25% every 10-14 days or if you like fussing around in the tank, 10% weekly. As mentioned above just to keep things fresh and clear. :)

Mostly this would depend on if you dose ferts to put micro and macro nutrients into the water. If you never did a pwc your plants would use up many of the necessary minerals, etc and with no fish to help fertilize you would likely have an imbalance.

It would also depend on how your water is naturally. I have no KH out of the tap and this will mess with my tank pH making it unstable so I need to add minerals.

Plant tank I would do 25% every 10-14 days or if you like fussing around in the tank, 10% weekly. As mentioned above just to keep things fresh and clear. :)

I always dose all my tanks with minerals and CO2 daily. I run a CO2 system, put iron in 4x a week, Excel in everyday, Flourish 1x week, KNP, 3x week.

I will have a filter on both parts of the tank and the aquatic side I will have a 70 GPH mini circulator.

Do you think I still need to do a PWC every 2 weeks? My water is fairly hard and a pH of about 7.1.

Well you are ahead of me in the plant care department!!!

With lots of minerals and ferts you might be fine for a long period. Evaporation condenses GH and so for that reason you might need to add RO or or do pwc to keep it from getting to be too much. I really know nothing about the CO2 part so I will bow out of that part.

What is your objective for the tank?

Back
Top Bottom