new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pph_2ppr

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all Ive had quite a bit of success with freshwater aquariums, but I also had my low times. I've read alot about saltwater aquariums so I no the cost and what I'm getting into. I have my tank up and....well its up! It is about 3/4 full because I'm waiting on my live rock to get into the fish store. Along with getting started I ran into stuff that made me wonder. Some people reccomend that I don't use this website forums like this because theres to much mixed info, but I decided to give it a shot. I am very motivated to get my tank off to a good start but also know how long I need to take so I don't mess the tank up. I bought a water test kit but Im wondering what kind you think is the best?

What are the BEST websites for saltwater fish? How many GPH do you think an overflow should run...should I go cheap on these or spend quite a bit?

WELCOME TO AA!!

Please do not cycle your fish with live animals.

It's good to have you here and I think you will be pleased with the advice, personal experiences and knowledge the folks have here.
As for a water tes, I have the Saltwater Masters Test Kit, it is decent for a low price and tests the basics.
Websites, we have a general retailer section, you can read up on some, but lots of folks like
saltwaterfish.com
liveaquaria.com
thatpetplace.com
and there are a few others, those are the ones I have ordered from.
I'm not sure on the GPH for an overflow, it probably depends on what you want to keep in your tank.
In SW, some things you can buy cheap (very few) and others, (skimmers, heaters, phs) you should go for the better brands.

I think you'll find here most of the members subscribe to the same or very similar philosophies of keeping SW fish and coral. As Roka said, the size of the overflow depends on the tank/sump size as well as what you plan on keeping. Filling out the "my info" button on your profile will aid us in answering any questions you may have in the future.

I bought a water test kit but Im wondering what kind you think is the best?
Seachem and Salifert are very good brands. Seachem is a little less expensive.
Welcome to AA.

I have the book "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert M. Fenner which has helped me out alot in my struggle of starting a saltwater tank. I look up to everyone who has done it without going insane. This is a very complicated process and I don't how I got this far!
I know that I shouldn't add additives to my aquarium because that could screw it up. I'm going to have a little sump under my aquarium and will have a small hang on back refugium. I want an in-sump protien skimmer, but don't want to spent a load of money on it...... The bioload of my tank will be small, just 2 clowns, mayb a yellow tang, inverts, and if all goes good a few corals that don't need extremely bright lights. I have a whole lot more to say but realize i am probably boring you:) so I will bore you later!

those articles will provide me with answers here in the future, thanks

wierd question, whats a ballast?

That's a good book. The more questions the better. Someone will eventually answer.

A Ballast is the electrical device that runs a light bulb, MH VHO ect...for example http://www.marinedepot.com/ps/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~IC3161.html

Have a look at the link above. That is a ballast.

Overflows come in a lot of different GPH...Like the fellas said we need to know more about the tank you are going ot be using and what you want to put in it before we can offer better advice on the equipment!

Welcome to AA...WE are glad that you decided to give us a chance to help you out!

yea i realized that other people were misinformed about this site...i will have to get back to them! So if i bought that 250W metal halide ballast I could raise a good variety of coral? How do you place the ballast on a 55 gallon aquarium?

There is alot of haters out there but you`ll see we have a good group of folks here that have one thing in common. Seeing you get the best out of your tank. Any questions just ask.

ok here it goes a list of questions...

1.whats the most number of invertibrates you can have with out them fighting

2. can anenomes survive in dual strip compact fleurescent lighting? 250W in 55 gal aquarium.

3.Have yoe heard about paradies cove pets and if its a reliable store?

3 1/2.Is it required to use a refractometer or is a hydrometer fine?

4.if live rock is shipped and is in around freezing temperatures for 4-5 days will it still be good to seed an aquarium?

5.what is the best way to arrange liverock in a skinny 55 gal aquarium?

1. Depends on what you have and compatibility of what you have.

2. There are definitely some anenomes you could have with that much lighting.

3. NO

4. It will have some die off and will need to be cured. Here is a link on curing. I would cure it and cycle your tank at the same time.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=6

5. What ever looks good to you. Personal preference matters here because you have to sit there and look at it.

is that a no that u havent heard of paradise cove or it is a bad choice?

what type of anenomes could i get with the lighting i described...i havent decided between long tentacled, carpet, and pink tipped hatian anenome. could i get all 3?

if live rock is shipped and is in around freezing temperatures for 4-5 days will it still be good to seed an aquarium?
Probably not. Second day is about the longest you want to ship LR. The cold alone will kill things very fast, let alone being out of water that long.
1/2.Is it required to use a refractometer or is a hydrometer fine?
Hydrometers are ok to start w/. The Instant Ocean ones are accurate IME. I had two I compared w/ a refractometer and both where only off by SG .001. One was high, one low.
5.what is the best way to arrange liverock in a skinny 55 gal aquarium?
When you find out let me know lol. It's hard to get any depth w/ a 55. You can see my 55 gal in my gallery if your interested.
what type of anenomes could i get with the lighting i described
Anemones require stable water chemistry along with mature aquariums. They should not be added to tanks under six months old-preferably closer to a year old. Having said that, bubble-tip anemones are relatively hardy and not overly aggressive.They are also commonly aquacultured/captive bred, which means buying one does not contribute to reef destruction. Carpet anemones have very potent stings, and tend to wander around the aquarium more than others. A bad combination if you plan on housing other coral with it. I would recommend no more than two different types of anemone in a 55.

pph_2ppr said:
Some people reccomend that I don't use this website forums like this because theres to much mixed info, but I decided to give it a shot.

Looks like everyone else is answering your questions just fine, but your comment struck me as interesting...

I have yet to find a hobby (or addiction, as some may call it) that has one set way of doing things. The biggest rookie mistake in ANY hobby is listening to the first person you hear and thinking what they said is the Gospel. In anything, there are always different opinions on the "right" way to do things. And many of those opinions will eventually get you to the same place. In other words, sometimes there's more than one correct answer. (Don't get me wrong though - there are some just plain wrong answers too!)

With that said, I think you will find a fair amount of agreement on this site about the way people have done things in the past that have worked best for them. It's up to you to filter the information and take ownership of your tank.

Just a guess... but would the people that told you not to visit internet forums be people at your local fish store? :roll:

edit: Oh... and spring for a refractometer up front. It's just one less thing you need to worry about and they're super easy and quick to use.

lol yes the majority of them were from the store, but there were a few other people who just have aquariums, probably told by their lfs too.

i was wondering how hermit crabs fair in your guys' aquariums?

how long do i need to mature my tank before i can add some non-hardy inverts?

do you really need liverock to seed base rock? or does it become live in the curing process?

pph_2ppr said:
lol yes the majority of them were from the store, but there were a few other people who just have aquariums, probably told by their lfs too.

do you really need liverock to seed base rock? or does it become live in the curing process?
pph_2ppr said:
I am not a big fan of hermits, but I have 3-4 in my 55G. They are great cleaners. Make sure you buy larger, empty shells for them to grow into.
pph_2ppr said:
You can add them when your cycle is complete. I like Nassarius Snails http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1133 cerith snails, a fighting conch, brittle stars. Start with a small amount and add to them. In newer tanks, you will need to let some build up occure so they don't starve.
pph_2ppr said:
Base rock will become live. Keep in mind, "live" means hosting the nitrifying bacteria that converts ammonia and nitrItes into nitrAtes. The other critters are a bonus. I have 150Lbs of base rock (from marcorocks.com) and am adding cured LR I buy from my LFS, as nice pieces come in.

You don't need a ton of cured LR but you will need something to seed your tank with. As for aranging your LR, it is a trial and error kind of thing. If you are patient and take your time during your cycle you can play with the arrangement of your rocks and not bother your critters later.

i just bought new powerheads, so i have 3 of them that flow at a rate of 200GPH. This makes the water move like crazy making it look impossible for something to live in...the sand is getting stirred up on the bottom and everything. is this too much flow?

Back
Top Bottom