New to cichlid keeping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Indstrctbl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Good evening all,
I am brand new to cichlids and was wondering if my current set up is adequate and if there is anything that I need to do or to change. I have a 46 gallon bow front with sand substrate and rock formations. I have one Marineland emperor 400 and a Marineland penguin 30 gal filters on there. The tanked is stocked with a kenyi, red zebra an unknown peacock a bumblebee and a convict. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• image-1890526016.jpg
    image-1890526016.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 77
Sounds good. Just a common reminder, many people say to NOT mix cichlids froms different regions, as each cichlid lake (Malawi, regions of south america, etc.) has different pH levels. Have fun with these fish!

We are planning on taking out the convict because he we are already having trouble with aggression from him

Tank looks good... I was told kenyi are really aggressive and I have problems w mine that I'm trying to rehome now

Indstrctbl said:
We are planning on taking out the convict because he we are already having trouble with aggression from him

Taking out the convict is a good start.
The peacock doesn't really belong in there either.It's growth will be stunted because the mbuna will stress it out badly.
Of the other 3 species the Kenyi and Bumble-bee cichlids can be extremely aggressive and I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than a 55 gallon 4 foot tank.
You really should do more research BEFORE you buy your fish.Thesr types of fish can snap overnight and this can result in multiple fish deaths.

Back
Top Bottom