new to cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I reccomend New World cichlids because to me they are much more interesting. They have what seems to be moods and are what I call a Wet Pet. They can become attached to you almost like a dog like when you approach the tank they come swimming over quickly almost like they missed you. Also I would advise against any live plants in all cichlid tanks except for dwarf cichlids. As far as your territory question goes it really depends on the fish in a New world type tank in a 55 gallon you could do a single large cichlid. Or a breeding pair of medium sized cichlids. Or even 2 medium sized cichlids and a few tankmates. For example in my 55 gallon I have a single Jack Dempsey and 4 pictus cats. The tank seems to be doing extremely well and the JD has not shown territorial behavior because he has enty of space and no other cichlids to compete with for territory. I think a good solo cichlid for a 55 gallon is a single male Texas cichlid. Max out at 12 inches usually 10. Or a single male green terror max out at 12 but usually only gets up to 10. As far as a breeding pair you could do a pair of blue Acaras, convicts or firemouths If you want some tankmates I think you could do a stock of 1- Blue Acara 1- Firemouth 1- Raphael or Cuckoo catfish 6- Giant danios or 7 tiger barbs odd numbers work better. That type of stock though will require good maintenance Or you could do something like mine with a jack Demosey or female green terror make sure it's female and a few tankmates.

You are generalizing hundreds of species into one description, there are cichlids that fit every size and shape, from incredibly peaceful to some of the most aggressive fish on earth. I know of many species that will not uproot plants nor touch them, more than just "dwarves". Please try not to make untrue statements without proper research. Hoplarchus psittacus is a cichlid that reaches 10" and is extremely peaceful and will not destroy plants. Australoheros sp. red ceibal reach 7-8" and live among plants in the wild and require them for spawning. Many new worlds are not the "wet pet" type actually,

So, to addess your question, it seems you know what you want your tank to look like. So let me ask you these questions:
What kind of fish do you have experience with?
What kind of fish are you looking for? Colorful? Rare? Interesting behavior? Evolutionary marvels?
What's your budget?
Are there any cichlids (or other fish) you are NOT interested in?
How will you be purchasing the fish? LFS or online?
What temperaments are you looking for? Do you want a relaxation tank, or an exciting tank, or a predatory tank?

Answer these and you'll get much better answers, and I know that I for one can point you in the right directions after getting to know you as a hobbyist a little better.

Not a ton with a Severum but you could house a Severum for life plus they reach an impressive size of 10 inches. You could have a stock of 1- Severum 1- Raphael, Featherfin catfish or green/ blue phantom pleco as a bottom feeder. 6- giant danios, or 6 Congo tetras or 4 Denison barbs. If you go with the barbs you might be pushing your bio load a bit though. I would stick with the teras or danios as a dither.
Severums are herbivorous and notorious plant destroyers. Not good for a planted tank.

Here's the answers to the questionnaire to help narrow down what i feel like i'm looking for, hope this helps.

What kind of fish do you have experience with? I have experience with mostly community fish: Gouramis, bettas, platys, tetras, shrimp, some plecos, and i've had 1 type of loach.

What kind of fish are you looking for? Colorful? Rare? Interesting behavior? Evolutionary marvels? we're (my gf and i) are interested in pretty much all the above except rare, i mean rare is neat, but i can live without it i want something kind of vibrant but i want interesting fish as well.

What's your budget? I'd like to keep cost reasonable, and go slow, but if i really want something thats higher priced i can always save abit for it and i'm willing to do that.

Are there any cichlids (or other fish) you are NOT interested in? I'm mainly interested in learning about cichlids, i do think i want to go new world, from what i've read the past day or two they seem to attact me more. I'd like there to be tank mates in this 55g not just a single fish.

How will you be purchasing the fish? LFS or online? I'm open to either option, mostly i have chain stores around here, and they don't seem to house alot of new world cichlids, but there is one and i haven't checked his stock since i decided on this project, he's alittle pricy sometimes but the fish always seem good quality.

What temperaments are you looking for? Do you want a relaxation tank, or an exciting tank, or a predatory tank? I have a fresh water community tank with a betta and a couple platy's, bristle pleco etc, so i think we'd like something more exciting but i'm not quite sure what you mean by a predatory tank. Might be interested in that if i knew more what it was. Hope this helps.

All the fish I have told you about like I said before do not like planted tanks.

A predatory tank means a highly aggressive fish that will kill and eat other small fish. Basically like Red Devils, oscars, zebra tilapia etc. they are just super aggressive fish.

If you want a community it has to be semi aggressive style tank. I would go with a single cichlid if you want larger ones such as the ones I already told you about. Like a single Severum, Blue Acara, or Firemouth. Btw you cooks have more fish in each tank as your cichlid gets smaller. Like how I told you the stock you could have a severum is not the same as the stock you can have with a firemouth.

For example if you get as ingle firemouth or Acara you could have 5 Denison barbs and for a bottom feeder either a Raphael catfish, medium sized pleco 6-8 inches or a red tailed shark is another option.

As far as my experience with bio wheels my 4 are all really quiet just make sure you clean impeller and intake tube monthly and you should have no problems. My old Aquaclear filters were great to though always quiet.

All the cichlids I have stated are just common ones that are good entry type cichlids IMO. They are because their easy to care for and are easy to find.

A community does not HAVE to be a semi aggressive! Keyhole cichlids are very common and are extremely peaceful. There are many many species. The op and I have sent several pms back and forth and have come up with a good basic outline.

A community does not HAVE to be a semi aggressive! Keyhole cichlids are very common and are extremely peaceful. There are many many species. The op and I have sent several pms back and forth and have come up with a good basic outline.

I know I'm saying for the cichlids I mentioned it would have to be I would like to see a neon tetra school house with a severum I guarantee they would all be killed or eaten.

Sorry to post this on your thread but everyone seems knowledgable :/

I found this cichlid Neolamprologus leleupi I really like them but don't know much about them. Can anyone give me any pointers or info?
I have a 20 gal long that's empty. My stocking ideas keep changing

But it's either between german blue rams or the one I mentioned above I just don't know who I could add with them since they're semi aggressive. Do you guys have any experience with them by chance?

Sorry to post this on your thread but everyone seems knowledgable :/ I found this cichlid Neolamprologus leleupi I really like them but don't know much about them. Can anyone give me any pointers or info? I have a 20 gal long that's empty. My stocking ideas keep changing But it's either between german blue rams or the one I mentioned above I just don't know who I could add with them since they're semi aggressive. Do you guys have any experience with them by chance?
Next time, just start a new thread ;)

Leleupi are quite aggressive, mine is constantly scheming on how to steal my multifasciatus fry. In a 20, it would need to be basically a pair of leleupi and that's it. German rams would be open to many more options

I did :/ haha

But that's good to know. Maybe in the future I can get a pair of them :)
Gbr keep tugging on me more and more

Back
Top Bottom