New to fish keeping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anastasia223

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had guppies and a beta when younger and my parents always had a stocked tank but anyways I remember when I was 8 "somehow my guppies had babies [emoji23]. Figured I'd start me a hobby plus my daughter is turning one and is always memorized by the fish tanks at Petsmart because how neat are fish tanks?!? Closest thing to magic we adults can get to.
Currently cycling my 10 gallon tank and having a nitrite problem I believe it's at a 5.
Any information I can get to help that go down will be much appreciated. Tia

I would change about 90% of the water. Nitrites and Ammonia should be zero. Are fish in the tank now? If so,...what do you have?

Welcome to the community. For how long has your tank been cycling? It sometimes takes several weeks for a cycle to complete.

Two comet gold fish

And this is one of theirs ue of the high hitrate. Comet goldfish get huge (over a foot) live for twenty years (or longer when properly cared for) and really only belong in a pond. They are also huge waste producers which, as well as the cycle going on now, is porb one of your issues

And nah, water has very little good bacteria. If your doing a fish in cycle, then big water changes are a must in order to keep the fish from suffering

And this is one of theirs ue of the high hitrate. Comet goldfish get huge (over a foot) live for twenty years (or longer when properly cared for) and really only belong in a pond. They are also huge waste producers which, as well as the cycle going on now, is porb one of your issues

And nah, water has very little good bacteria. If your doing a fish in cycle, then big water changes are a must in order to keep the fish from suffering

My parents have a pond I tend to put the fish in

My parents have a pond I tend to put the fish in

Oh okay, that's good! Anyway, like mentioned, try doing a big water change then. Very little bacteria lives in the water column is you'd be fine doing a 90%. Most bacteria is found in the filter or on decorations.

Really anywhere between 75% or 90% would work. You just really wanna watch the Params after ward, cause nitrite should be at 0 or super close to zero

That would be the cycle, it's a bacteria bloom. Super common, and nothing to worry about. Since your doing a fish in cycle, when ever the ammonia reaches .5ppm, it's time to do a water change, everything under .5ppm is at least tolerable to the fish

Back
Top Bottom