new to live plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

minky123

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so I have never done live plants, I have a 15g that I'm thinking is going to be my experiment. What do I need. I'm talking basics and everything else. Sand or gravel? Airstone? I just have no idea what I need because I know its not going to be as easy as buying the plant and putting in my tank. Any help will be appreciated!

Hey, you can certainly get away with bare basics depending on what plants you choose.
Just grab a bag of Flourite gravel, or some kind of eco-booster brand for planted tanks. $20

and a light fixture. There you go lol

I don't have much time, but I'm sure someone will give you a rundown or direct you to plant information and what would be good for you. It becomes much more complex with more advanced plants.

Thank you much appreciated. Do I need co2, I have been doing research but I have no idea what anyone is talking about lol

You don't need expensive substrates to grow plants well. Sand works great, so does gravel but maybe a smaller gravel so roots don't get crushed.

You don't NEED CO2 but it is beneficial. If you are wanting high light then you will look into needing CO2.

You might also look into fertilizers. Again, depending on the plants you want.

Well I am also a beginner lol so this might be abit like the blind leading the blind... but I do know that Java fern, java moss and anubias plants are good for low light, low tech tanks. There are different varieties of java moss (I know of the 'normal' variety and the windelov or lace variety, but there are probably others too). There are heaps of different anubias varieties too.. Anubias and java fern both grow best tied to rocks or driftwood rather than buried in the substrate as the roots may rot, but I think it also looks really nice like that and its harder for your fish to destroy haha.
Another plant with broad leaves is the amazon sword plant, i don't know if its reccomended for low light but mine is growing well and getting new leaves (may outgrow a 15g eventually though? I'm not sure). Other plants I have that seem to be doing ok in low-ish light are pennywort, valisneria, ambulia and salvinia.. make sure you research them before you get them though as I'm not 100% sure they are actually reccomended for low light tanks :). A good fertiliser to start off with is seachem flourish, imo.
Hope this helps abit or atleast gives you some ideas :)

Thank you, well I'm visiting my family from college for a couple days and when I come back ill starty experiment. I'll try to make sure to post pictures throughout all of this lol

Back
Top Bottom