New to plants in tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gingimaru

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

just a real quick and easy one (hopefully)

i have a 35ltr (roughly 10US gal) and i'm hoping to put a few java, and possibly, annubis. in a tank of this size how many plants before theres not enough Co2 for them? i'm trying to go as low maintenance as i can on my plants so i will be attaching them to driftwood.

i'm not looking for a fullbore planted tank with Co2 tanks and fertilizer etc just nice low maintenance plants that will be good hiding places for my fish :)

Are you going to have fish in the tank? What fish are you thinking about putting in there? If you do not have any, then you will have to put some time of fert in because your tank isn't producing any Ammonia.

theres a betta fish and a golden apple snail (we think) and some shrimp will be coming shortly. the tank is already fully cycled and up and running however we just want some more plants for a natural look especially as now we have more cash to spend on it.

Okay got it. I would recommend not overly planting your tank as you would guess. At Petsmart, they have these bulbs that will grow and produce onions and what not in your tank. They are rather cool to watch and grow. There really isn't much you have to do with them. I would not add all of the bulbs that come with the package because you do not have a lot of Nitrite in your tank.

onions?? in an aquatic tank?? never heard of that haha however i am just looking for some basic aquatic ferns/plants. do you think i would be ok doing that?

Onion plant. It's a robust plant. Bulb plant that comes in those packages are usu onion plant, aponogeton , and water lily

Yah....and they look great I would highly recommend getting onions as a starter plant. You won't be disepointed

I don't think you can over plant your tank LOL.
I have to trim weekly but plants and shrimp and fish are healthy.

FYI Bettas may kill Shrimp. Big Amanos might be ok but mine wiped out Cherry Shrimp. I only added a few to see how they'd do. Fine for 2 days then he slaughtered them.

Check my profile for pics of my jungle.

JMO, but you can have as many anubias plants as you want. They are great low-tech plants, beginner plants that are very hardy & do not need anything special (such as co2) for their care.

I think java fern and anubias would work great. Java fern tends to get messed up leaves with changes in water parameters. Anubias is one of my favorites, patience is the name of the game with those seeing as they grow very slowly in low-tech tanks. In my high output tank I get two new leaves a month on some of them. Good luck.

Oh and as far as going no co2, surface agitation is key. Get a bubble wand or air stone and you'll still get a slight raise in co2 due to gas exchange because of water surface agitation. That should help plants and fish.

Back
Top Bottom