new to plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hoyte

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've had my tropical freshwater tank for a while now. Recently getn into plants. I have a few now (not sure of names) but I'm planning on introducing discus to the tank. Would like some plant to go with and whats needed to take care of them

Not sure if there are any special plants for discus, but I do know they are not a beginner fish...I really wanted them also but I settled for angelfish and I'm so glad I did! They are very beautiful and their care is moderate, but far from discus. I may get a discus tank sometime later though. Sorry if I didn't help at all! Oh and they need a temp of around 80 degrees Fahrenheit and I think they let off some type of toxin that can harm or kill other fish so that why most of people keep them with their own species. Sorry I'm not an expert on discus!

I have angelfish now with tetras and rainbow sharks all tankmate for discus. Depending on how aggressive my angel will be with the discus i will start another tank with angel only. My temp now is a steady 80-82. I'm having no problems out of anything in my tank. So hoping discus will do well. Good luck with urs

Oh I see. I heard though angelfish and discus cannot be kept together because of that toxin I mentioned above but I'm not entirely sure. Good luck!

Not sure of toxins but.I will look into.the. but I have seen plenty of tank with discus mixed wit German blues tetras mollies and even angel.

What type of lights and bulbs do you have? Light determines the type of plants you can grow. Plus there are certain plants better suited to the higher temps of discus tanks. Also what size is the tank your wanting to add discus to?

Years ago when alot of angels in the trade were wild caught, many carried a parasite that discus could get and it would kill the discus. Nowadays not many wild caught angels are around for sale.

Here's a list of discus plants... Warm Water/Discus Plants

Your going to have to stick with low light tolerant plants. Swords, crypts, vals, ambulia, narrowleaf temple, dwarf sag, bacopa australis, and tiger lotus for planting in the substrate. You also need to use root tabs with these plants. Then anubia, java fern both regualar and Wendilov, bolbitus, and java fern for attaching to DW.

Back
Top Bottom