New to plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dbigfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have never attempted to grow plants in a aquarium before I have black sand substrate in a 20 gallon long tank with an aqueon modular led 30inch lighting system with 2 white led light strips. I am wondering what type of plants can even be grow with this set up I am not interested in using a co2 setup either. The fish stock is a school of neons and glo fish along with one GBR and a few oto catfish. Any help would be appreciated because like I said I have never used live plants before only plastic

I'm not entirely sure of the PAR rating on that light, but with 2 strips of LEDs on a 20 Gallon Long, I think CO2 will be necessary. Someone else will chime in, but if you do use CO2, you'll be able to grow a huge variety of plants.

Are the 2 LED strips Aqueon also? I think you could grow medium-high light plants, I dont think a C02 sytem would be absolutely necessary, after all we all have seen what Rivercats has done in her 220g without CO2 :lol: but a daily or every other day dose of Excel would be in order. I personally use pressurized CO2 on all my planted tanks (right now just my 60 and soon to be 6g) because I simply think it is necessary on a high light tank such as mine and CO2 is such an important factor for a healthy tank...the sand substrate though..you would need lots of root tabs to grow the plants well. Some good low light starter plants are crypts, anubias,java ferns, vals, amazon swords, and dwarf sag...those could look nice in a low light setup, more medium light plants would go towards the vals..some others can help with plants?

The LEDs are aqueon as well. What are root tabs?

I picked up some root tabs along with an anubias. I'll just sick with that for now and if it doesn't die I'll just expand from there :)

Attachments

• image-1120815083.jpg
    image-1120815083.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 54
  • image-291596968.jpg
    image-291596968.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 57
  • image-2333794151.jpg
    image-2333794151.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 68
I picked up some root tabs along with an anubias. I'll just sick with that for now and if it doesn't die I'll just expand from there :)

Just wanted to let you know that anubias work best if attached to driftwood. However it will be okay in the substrate as long as the rhizome is not under the gravel,

Alright I mean I do have the driftwood in there already so I might as well haha. Any reason they grow better on the wood?

Alright I mean I do have the driftwood in there already so I might as well haha. Any reason they grow better on the wood?

Their is no way for the rhizome to get pushed under water. I'm not sure why but the ones on my driftwood always grow better then the ones in the gravel. You may want to get a fert for the water like seachem flourish comprehensive. Especially if you would like to get more plants in the near future.

If using liquid carbon in place of CO2 it needs to be dosed daily as it only stays in solution 12-24 hours.

I moved the plant my driftwood an will look into the flourish soon

Attachments

• image-3536305903.jpg
    image-3536305903.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 61
Finally got some liquid co2

Attachments

• image-2282390581.jpg
    image-2282390581.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 64
I do have one anubias on my driftwood on the left I am trying to find something to better cover the background though.

Attachments

• image-2830991589.jpg
    image-2830991589.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 58
Still trying to figure out plants but at least everything is growing!

Attachments

• image-203780678.jpg
    image-203780678.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 62
Back
Top Bottom