New to Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frostshine

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay, I'm brand new at live plants, and though I might try water sprite, duckweed, or water lettuce. How do I care for these? How fast do they grow? How big do they get? Etc, etc. thanks!

The water sprite and duckweed are both easy plants to care for but say no to the duck weed. It is a pest plant that is a giant pita to get rid of when you realize that it's a terrible plant to keep. The only time i would use them imho is for breeding setups.

The water sprite will grow as big as you want it to and it also grows really really fast. It's also a very hardy plant that's difficult to kill.

I'm not sure about the water lettuce.

What size tank and what lighting do you have? Water sprite is very easy to grow but will suck up all the nutrients in the water quickly so you will need to add something like Seachems Flourish Comprehensive weekly after your WC. Water Lettuce needs room between the light and water. They need an open top tank to grow properly. They will also cover the surface of the tank not allowing light to penetrate down in the water. IMO your best bet is to do Water sprite.

Okay, thanks guys. I brought up duckweed because it is a breeding setup, but I'll go with water sprite then. I have a ten-g tank (overstocked, I know) with 5 guppies, 4 zebras, and 2 neons (soon to be one). The neons' buddies all died.i was hoping to save some fry with the water sprite. My light is a Tetra LED16-W. is this sufficient? All plants are fake thus far. I'm not sure about the whole fertilizer setup. How do I do it? Sorry, extreme newbie, so bear with me.

That's pretty low light but I've grown Water Sprite in some pretty low light before. One thing that did help it a lot in those low light tanks is I added liquid carbon every day and some Flouish Comprehensive every week after a WC.

Yes, I am. And okay. Next time I go to the store I'll pick some water sprite up. :D

Back
Top Bottom