New to the hobby: my first setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishStarter89

Aquarium Advice Regular
Prior to this, my only experience is a 29 gallon freshwater community. Here are some photos of the setup I have been working on. It's a 75 gallon FOWLR setup with a sump refugium. I built the stand myself as my first diy.

I drilled the tank for a retro-fit Herbie-style overflow. The first chamber of my sump contains a Reef Octopus NWB150 that is stilted on eggcrate. Not visible is the koralia 600 powerhead under the skimmer in the eggcrate where I will keep some live rock rubble. The powerhead will keep water circulating through the rubble and will keep detritus from settling.

The second chamber will contain a refugium where I hope to grow a copepod colony and maybe some algae. I've already ordered some refugium mud for it. I'm still not positive what I'm going to do with this so suggestions would be appreciated.

The return chamber contains a mag 9.5 return pump that returns with 1.5" pvc. I'm going to attach loc-line to the actual return bulkhead. In the tank I have two koralia evolution 1150 powerhead pumps.

I've tested the plumbing with tap water and everything seems to be working well, once I get the Herbie siphon started. I have unions at the top and bottom of each pipe for easy cleaning and disassembly. This is the first time I've ever worked with pvc, so I know the plumbing may not look pretty, but at least it doesn't leak (for now).

I would appreciate feedback on any visible flaws or ways to improve this setup before I fill it with saltwater and begin my cycle. Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• a5edy6eh.jpg
    a5edy6eh.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 115
  • 20140220_203451.jpg
    20140220_203451.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 122
  • 20140222_054106.jpg
    20140222_054106.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 116
  • 20140222_054137.jpg
    20140222_054137.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 103
looks great! the only thing is I also have a reef octopus and that may be sitting a little high for it so once set up and get some fish in there you may have to play with the height for best performance. great skimmers though

I personally also like to use a filter sock but it is not a must. I am also new to saltwater

Unfortunately, if the skimmer was any lower, the outlet would be submerged below the water line. I am new to saltwater as well :)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom