New to the Site!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Happiness

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am so excited to be on this site and can't wait to learn lots! I currently have a 20 gallon tank that I am cycling. At first I didn't know anything about cycling and listened to a store clerk who told me to just dump some fish in. I got fish, and then learned about the cycle. I feel bad for killing a lot of them, but most of them I re-homed. Trying to cycle my tank some other way, I did the fish food method, which didn't turn out well. I had a huge pond snail population explosion and got these little worms in my tank. Now I think that I'm going to go with the ammonia method. Hopefully everything will work out.:) :fish2: :)

Welcome to the site. Make sure you use a ammonia calculator. When using the calculator have a set ammonia reading that you would like it cycled to. Like when I did my saltwater tank first cycle I dosed it to 4ppm of ammonia and waited until it was at 0 ppm ( could take days) but after awhile I could take 4 ppm of ammonia and get rid of it in 12 hours and nitrites would be gone in 24 hours. I ended up doing a huge water change to get the nitrates levels down to a safe level.

Yes, I need to do some research before I decide to put the ammonia in though. Do you know a good site for an ammonia calculator?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom