New to this Forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matthew_Sample

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
New to this Forum - feedback welcome !

I have added a Pic of the tank so far.
I used water from another 50 Gal i have to help cycle the tank before adding to many fish.
Started with 5 Tiger barbs to get it going.
The rocks are green granite.
I have 2 filters .. A bio wheel Marine which i added Active carbon to the back of and another large HOB filter.

I have about 25 new plants which will get about 15" tall and are now about 4 " tall.

it is about 6 weeks old. Plants are a new addition . ..

Now i just kicking back and enjoying it. I have it in my home office were i work.

My old fresh water tank will be torn down after i fill comfortable with this tanks bio load.

Understanding the plants will grow nice and probably hide some or a lot of the rock... looking for any comments and/or advise.

Attachments

• DSC_0829.jpg
    DSC_0829.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
I have Been doing fresh water tanks for some time.
I actually went tankless for almost a year... and i could not stand it any more.

My other tank is at my father in laws house were i put it when we moved.

I have done salt and fresh... Salt just got to expensive and time consuming to up keep .. so the 10 tanks ranging from 150 to a nano are all gone now and i am left with this one.

I need to get another light for the plants i think... BUT they seem to be doing fine with these..

That is a debate i am having.. do not want to much alge growing to fast.. lol

Viewing some of the tanks in here i am impressed ..

Also never to old to learn when it comes to water quality and tank upkeep./

This tank is the third I've ever had, and there's lots I don't know! I've just moved my lot to a 65L tank (when I say "lot", I haven't got much). They seem to love it and am thinking of getting some Mollys - 2 female and male, or is it cruel to let their babies get eaten?
There's a male Betta in there and 3 ottos, 3 apple snails, 2 assassin snails and 3 kuhlli loaches.
What do you think?

In my other tank i started with 2 ells. I then added fancy guppies. 1 female and 5 males.

I have plenty of things to hide in.

The ells took care of over stocking for some time... BUT now... i probably have like 200 fancy guppies in there if not more..

I always say if you get live breeders then put something in the tank to control the population.

AND always be ready for over population.

Egg breeders are the same way... just live breeders come out swimming and populate faster.

The idea in my mind is to make the tank environment as close to nature as possible. And in Nature there are are control preditors.

It is actually more cruel in my eyes to allow over population of a tank.

Yes, I agree. So what would be suitable predators for my tank, do you think, bearing in mind what I've already got?

of the fish that ate compatible to Otto's ( Corydoras, Danios, Gouramis, Guppies, Tetras, Loaches, Mollies, Platies, Sharks, Swords )

?

Problem is the additional compatibility of the snails.

not sure how ells would do with the snails. Course i am suprised the loach are leaving them alone.

Gouramis tend to eat snails

ya... you pose a question i can not give a solid answer to... lol

Also being small the Otto can be eaten by larger fish and will actually kill the fish that eats it due to the scales..

My BEST answer would be to try a ell or 2 and see how they do... BUT watch those snails...

Only way to find the answer to your mix i am afraid it to test it or know someone who has..

Your Question then becomes... Will ells cause harm to the types of snails i have. then be specific on ells type and/or types..

There are other odd fish you can get like a DOJO or Dragon that will help.. Personally i LOVE DOJOs but they can get large.

P.S. mind my spelling i know it is bad.. lol

I wish i knew more about snails and tank mates but I never put them in the tank ( on purpose )

When you say Ells, do you mean eels?
They're quite big and saltwater aren't they? My tank is only a 65L.
I think there's a fish compatability chart somewhere online - I'd better check. Thanks for reminding me about the snails, I tend to think they're invincible, but of course they're not!
Oh, and by the way, you're spelling isn't bad - seen MUCH worse!!

There are fresh water eels which i like..
AND actually you can convert Salt water snow flake eels to fresh.. NOT that i recomend it..

I'll have to find out about eels in the UK, but think they may be too big for my tank, and don't think the kuhli loaches would be too keen!

I have 2 and have had them for 5 years... they are now about 4 inches long

I think your tank is a lot bigger than mine. Can you post a photo of your eels in the tank for me to see?

Back
Top Bottom