New (used) tank cleanup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Retired_AF

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just bought a used 90 gallon tank with a stand, 2 heaters, return pump, wet/dry trickle filter and some lights that I know will need upgraded eventually. This is my first foray into salt water tanks, so I am not sure of some things. I know the stand needs some minor repairs. Not a problem.

However, the tank had been sitting for about a month and I dont have any idea what was in it before, so I want to clean it before putting anything in it. There was some water left in the trickle filter and it has all turned black and looks/smells bad.

What can I use to remove the salt buildup and the other gunk from the tank and trickle filter to make sure I dont introduce anything harmful into the tank when I put it together? :confused:

hmmm... 36 views, no answers... unusual.....

Does anyone think there would be a problem using vinegar to clean off the solids from the glass?

I am hesitant to use any cleansers of chemicals to clean up the gunk, but just water pressure and a rag isnt doing the job. Could I use bleach?

Get a razor blade for the sides (not the corners), clean with vinegar, and rinse thoroughly. You can use a non abrasive sponge for the corners and along the seals.

Get a razor blade for the sides (not the corners), clean with vinegar, and rinse thoroughly. You can use a non abrasive sponge for the corners and along the seals.

Thanks! I thought that might work for the stuff on the outside, but being as this is my first salt tank I wanted to ask first.

What about the black gunk at the bottom of the trickle filter and the sump area? Same thing? I know I have to wash out the bioballs, probably using a brush and hot water (hopefully).

I built my own sump, so really don't have experience with bio balls. IMO, yes, hot water should clean it out.

The vinegar and razor blade, plus a rag and hot water (and a bit of muscle and some skinned knuckles) cleaned it up fairly well, enough I'm not concerned about polluting the tank... the wife suggested putting the bio balls in the dish washer to clean them up, hot water only and no drying cycle... worked like a charm...

found out it's an Oceanic Model 75 trickle filter... seems pretty good, just not enough room to put my protein skimmer into it... I am going to try to trade it for another, bigger ( or constructed differently) sump...

now for the tank....

Back
Top Bottom