new & used

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

walkers.and.their.fins.

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My daughter was recently given a 30 gal. tank for her birthday by some friends that weren't up to the upkeep since their 2nd child was born. She gave us a quick run down when she installed everything for us but we're feeling a little lost on water balance. We have a fresh tropical tank with mollies, frogs, snails, shrimp and mini suckers. I checked my levels but now don't know what it means or how to correct anything. PH=8 NH3=0 nitrate=5 and nitrite=0.1 or 0.3 (difficult to read). Could you PLEASE help?

walkers.and.their.fins. said:
My daughter was recently given a 30 gal. tank for her birthday by some friends that weren't up to the upkeep since their 2nd child was born. She gave us a quick run down when she installed everything for us but we're feeling a little lost on water balance. We have a fresh tropical tank with mollies, frogs, snails, shrimp and mini suckers. I checked my levels but now don't know what it means or how to correct anything. PH=8 NH3=0 nitrate=5 and nitrite=0.1 or 0.3 (difficult to read). Could you PLEASE help?

Welcome to AA! Ph: the acidity level of the water (bases and acids). NH3: ammonia, you know like the stuff you can buy at stores in bottles... It's the fish poo and organic waste, including extra food. Not good for fish and all other aquatic animals in the aquarium, you want this at 0ppm. Nitrate: it's an ok chemical to have in your water, actually you want it, but under 20ppm, because that means that your nitrogen cycle is working:). Nitrite: part of the nitrogen cycle like ammonia and nitrate, it's the middle step, you don't want this and should bs kept at 0ppm.

Quick run down:
PH: kept stable
Ammonia (NH3): kept at 0ppm
Nitrite: kept at 0ppm
Nitrate: kept below 20ppm

So do you have any idea what type of "mini" suckers do you have? Are they common plecos?

Back
Top Bottom