New Watchman Goby concern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JLH-l3ioCub3

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just bought a full grown watchman that has never been paired with a pistol shrimp. I had a pistol shrimp in my tank for a couple weeks prior to adding the watchman today and about 20 minutes after adding him he found the pistol shrimp burrow but it was too small for him to squeeze into but he forced himself in anyway. I'm worried that he may hide in there too long and will suffocate due to lack of oxygen. I'd just like some input on this. Should I pull my rockwork apart to get him out?

Pistol shrimp is closing the hole now and the watchman is in for the night I guess!
Will the watchman die, or does it somehow get oxygen in there?

I highly doubt that the watchmen is a very good burrow by himself

Your watchman has gills. Just because it is under a rock doesn't mean it can't breathe. Pistols move sand constantly, I doubt it is filling in the hole. Not only that, but your watchman can dig as well. My watchman dug an intricate system of tunnels under my rock work before I traded him. These tunnels now house a snowflake eel.

Great point sniper hank as with mine he is excellent at digging and spends a lot of his days digging

Your watchman will be fine in the burrow, dont worry. There are times my watchman doesn't come out of the burrow for days on end. And my pistol usually "closes the door" at night too, either with a shell frag or with sand. Water still gets in there, and he breathes oxygen through water. Your fish has a best friend now, and they likely won't leave each others side hardly ever, and that's great!! :)

Beengirl said:
Your watchman will be fine in the burrow, dont worry. There are times my watchman doesn't come out of the burrow for days on end. And my pistol usually "closes the door" at night too, either with a shell frag or with sand. Water still gets in there, and he breathes oxygen through water. Your fish has a best friend now, and they likely won't leave each others side hardly ever, and that's great!! :)

Great advice. Thanks soo much, that is comforting. Looking forward to watching this pair!

Back
Top Bottom