Newb question - test kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OscarFan76

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I am setting up a 55g for a fowlr tank. I added salt and a small live rock today. Going to have to buy it a piece at at time unless some knows where I can get a good deal.

Can I use the API test kit for my fresh tanks on this fowlr setup or do I need to buy a sw kit?

Thanks.

A couple of the tests have slightly different colors for the titrations in SW vs. FW. So long as you have the SW color cards, you could certainly use the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate tests.

You can and there is a conversion floating around on the internet somewhere but if your gonna put as much money into it as you most likely are then don't get cheap on one of the most important things for your tank lol you can order one on amazon for like 20 bucks for high range ph,ammo,trites,and trates

Do I need the reef master one that tests calcium, gh etc for a fowlr tank as well? Sorry, totally new to saltwater. Thanks for the feedback.

Depends on what your keeping but for most fowlr no

Thanks. I haven't started thinking of fish yet. Just want to get the live rock cured and tank cycled first.

ah yeah i tried the high range pH and ammonia. the high range works fine i think, there might just be a slight color difference. but in the first bottle of ammonia i think it reacted and it clumped up the salt or somethin in the water

Pauls Aquariums said:
ah yeah i tried the high range pH and ammonia. the high range works fine i think, there might just be a slight color difference. but in the first bottle of ammonia i think it reacted and it clumped up the salt or somethin in the water

My salt test kit clumps on the ammo. Looks like it turns to gel or something. I don't see it on the other tests. I assume this is normal on the sw test for ammonia.

API are not the best test kits on the market, after you get up and running you might want to look into Salifert test kits. They will be fine to get thru your cycling

Back
Top Bottom