Newbie at freshwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nate1633

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I have a 55 gallon saltwater tank and spend most of my time in the saltwater section, but I have been researching and have decided I want to set up a 20 gallon freshwater. I have a few questions though.

1.Will I need a heater to keep most fish or will I be good at room temp which in the room it will be 70 degrees

2. I would like it to be a planted tank so what would a good light be that isn't to expensive

3. I'm curious how long a freshwater tank cycles

Thanks

55 gallon fowlr

Yeah, you'll need a heater for your tank. Most freshwater fish like it between 75 and 80.

If you're going for a 20 gallon long I recommend a finnex stingray. For that depth of a tank you can grow low and medium light plants, and it's fairly inexpensive. I use one on my 10 gallon planted dwarf puffer tank (same depth as a 20 long).

Freshwater tank cycles usually take about a month in my experience. Fastest unseeded cycle was 3 weeks and I had a 55 gallon take 6 once. But that was a goldfish tank so the cooler water was most likely why.

Ooooooo, dwarf fish would look nice with shrimp and snails. Also you could do an Amazonian biotope or a rapids biotope would look nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom