Newbie Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keilso

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm planning on purchasing an Oase 400 highline but am unsure of what external filter to buy.

First option is to purchase the Oase Biomaster thermo 850 (provides 1559 l/h). However, some sites have stated 2000 - 3000 l/h is required.

or

Option 2, to purchase the Fluval Fx6 filter (appreciates I need a heater as well) at 3500 l/h.

Question: Personally. I would prefer the Oase but don't want to purchase, if it's not up to the job. If recommending the Fluval Fx6 would this fit in Oase highline 400 cabinet / sliding platform, are tubes etc. compatible to use in Oase highline 400 dry chamber.

Note: I don't want to use a second external filter but would be okay with using an internal filter as a second filter, something like Oase Bioplus thermo 200 (providing 650 l/h) would this give me a combined total 2250 l/h or does it not work that way.

Info: Plan on using the usual easy to grow plants and have some Cardinal tetras (10 off), Rummy nose tetra (10 off), 1or2 Dwarf gourami, a german blue ram and some Otos.

Question: Also, trying to workout my layout for the Aquarium / position, does anyone know the lengths of cables for the following equipment: -

- Oase Illumination kit
- Oase Biomater 850 filter
- Fluval Fx6 filter

Question: Lastly could anyone suggest a good extension lead for an aquarium set up.

Any suggestions greatly welcome.

I may not be much help, but on my big cichlid tanks I try to get close to 20x the tank volume on manufacturers listed lph performance. After adding media, hoses, etc, filters prob really only put out about 60% of the rated Lph. That being said, your tank is not full of big nasty diggers, so i would shoot for 10x the volume on the listed Lph, then your over the five times that most aquariums recommend

And yes, adding another internal filter does add to your Lph filtration. 100lph filter plus another 100lph filter gives you 200lph, and so on

Thanks Charlie, so are you advising for a 400 litre tank, 4000 l/h and if so how do others achieve this.

I have a 400l tank also, running a canister of 1937l/hr, a sponge and a sicce internal canister of 798lph. Only 8 angel fish and some corys in there. Water is pristine

Just saying that would be ideal, but for your light load, 2000lph would prob be excellent. I have 6 filters including the sponge on my 378l african cichlid tank. It's heavily stocked and they are messy. All together according to the manufacturer ratings, it's over 7500lph filtration. And with that, it just stays clean, lol

I think the 2 Oase filters you listed providing 2200lph would be plenty sufficient. If you don't like the way that's working you can always add another internal at the other end

Back
Top Bottom