Newbie: sick betta splendens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wdk1990

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I'm new here, and although I have been following the forum for a while, it's my first post.

I have a problem with my Betta splendens fish, it seems like it is losing its scales and turns white in that area. About a week ago he was quite passive for a few days, lingering for hours on the bottom or top of the tank.
Since then his condition seemed to improve but since two days I spot these white marks and it started losing scales yesterday.

What can it be, and what can I do to make him better, any ideas? A picture is included in attachment.

Water quality is good and the other fish (14 neon tetras, 7 rasbora, 7 shrimps) are fine.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_2425.jpg

How big is your tank?
Other fish might be picking on him, nipping and whatnot, you might need to separate him into his own tank.

Thanks for your reply, the tank is 60litres. I haven't seen them do that so I'll keep a close eye on it.

No problem :) But if your tank is 60 liters, that's only about 15 gallons which means your tank is likely over stocked

Is the water heated? do you have a filter? Betta fish should have water heated to at least 78F

What kind of rasboras and shrimp? In terms of bioload and preferred zones, stocking is fine. In terms of temperament, not so much.

Tetras are known to be nippers. You may not be seeing it, but they are probably picking on your betta.

Hello everyone, thanks for the help and advice. In the meantime m Betta is fully recovered and swimming around as usual. We treated him with some Sera fishtamin and after two weeks of treatment he began recovering quite fast.

For the sake of completeness, the water is heated to 26C and a filter is installed. Harlequin rasboras and japonica shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom