Newbie (sort of)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chad20056

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi before I explain the problem here is what has happened. I purchased a second hand 60l tank set it up cycled the tank everything was going great until about 5wks in when it split and I lost all the water luckly I had an old 10l tank which I put the fish in and gave them away to a friend. I wasnt planning on getting a new tank so soon but have just bought a brand new Juwel Rekord 800.

Now I moved everything from the old tank to the new (didn't wash anything except the new plastic plants I have bought) the things that where in my old tank have been out of the water for a week before I put them into the new tank, new filters as well, what has happened is this I dosed up the ammonia to 4ppm following the guide again on the forum here, the ammonia level has dropped significantly from Friday night 14/6/13 and I've now got Nitrite and nitrate showing on my test kit but in 2days, I'm really stumped as I didn't think any of the bacteria on the things I took out of my old tank would have survived for the 7 days without being in the water. this is really puzzling and would like some advice if anyone has an :blink:

Hi and welcome! I honestly wouldn't question something that's going well :) It could be that some bacteria survived somehow. If ammonia is dropping and you have nitrite and nitrate (and neither of those are in your tap water) then those are good things!

Since most of the bb (beneficial bacteria) lives int the filter, could the filter media have been wet for the time that the tank was just sitting there? But like librarygirl said, don't question it, if the fish gods are kind to you, then congratulations, because you are one of few.

Hi thank you all for your comments. No they are new filters as I wasn't planning on getting another tank so soon the old tank and filters all went to the rubbish tip all the signs are looking good though ammo dropping nitrite and nitrate are almost off what my test kit can show will check again in the morning and do the water change when necessary

Back
Top Bottom