Newly added java moss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggs180

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just got my Java moss in the mail, and i've attached chunks to various rocks and my driftwood. the place i ordered it even gave a small mesh, and i'm putting a small carpeted area. However, i'm curious. The moss isn't a bright green I see in pictures, almost a Dark-green almost brown, but this is probably from being in a plastic bag for a week. Whats the average time for it to start attaching to Rocks/Substrate/Driftwood? I've got about 3.3 Watts per Gallon.

This is the java moss that arrived yesterday, Would anybody be able to confirm if its dead on arrival, or if it will be able to bounce back?

dsc03751t.jpg

dsc03750l.jpg

I see some small amounts of pail green. That might bounce back but the the hay colored brown stuff might be dead. Those single strands will make new growth but it will take a while. The brown dead stuff will be eaten by snails or shrimp. Patience is the name of the game for your situation.

Yeah that moss looks rough. Where'd you get it from? I've shipped mine all over and it looks fine, even for a week in transit. As long as it's got some green on it, it should bounce back.

I got it from Aquaticmagic, and they are based in Singapore. as most other places seem to be selling it for more expensive, normally I would order from Sweet Aquatics, but they seem to be on hiatus of some sort.

There are a few green strands, but not many. I'm hoping my large amount of light will hopefully revive the dead brown parts.

Ziggs180 said:
I got it from Aquaticmagic, and they are based in Singapore. as most other places seem to be selling it for more expensive, normally I would order from Sweet Aquatics, but they seem to be on hiatus of some sort.

There are a few green strands, but not many. I'm hoping my large amount of light will hopefully revive the dead brown parts.

You would be better off ordering from other hobbyists. Here or at The Planted Tank.

Or there are clubs you could join
http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/aqauriumclubs/p/Florida-Aquarium-Clubs.htm

I get all my plants free from my club members these days. We trade and share and RAOK plants. If they sell them we get first pick and deep discounts on rare stuff.

The people I ordered it from are sending me a 2nd package for free, Would it be a good idea to leave the moss thats already in my tank or take it out and replace it with new moss?

Ziggs180 said:
The people I ordered it from are sending me a 2nd package for free, Would it be a good idea to leave the moss thats already in my tank or take it out and replace it with new moss?

Leave the green, trim most of the really brown. Or leave it and see if it recovers.

Back
Top Bottom