Next Step?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ozorowsky

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so I have lighting on the way my salinity is at 1.023; I'm getting some more base rock tonight and going to add it to my tank; I threw 3 raw dead shrimp in from the supermarket last night.

How long should I let the shrimp sit in there for? What is my next step before adding any type of fish?

Thank you.

some let the shrimp dissolve. i just wait until there is a good amount of ammonia present (via a liquid test kit). you would then have to wait untill the ammonia was converted to nitrite, and then nitrate. that's when you would do a water change or two to remove the high nitrate, and then you can slowly add livestock.

some let the shrimp dissolve. i just wait until there is a good amount of ammonia present (via a liquid test kit). you would then have to wait untill the ammonia was converted to nitrite, and then nitrate. that's when you would do a water change or two to remove the high nitrate, and then you can slowly add livestock.

Thank you. Approximately how long should I expect this process to take? A day a week a month?

it could take upto a month no one knows how long it will take every tank is different

I used live rock and pure ammonia for my first build. :) Due to having excellent live rock from an already established system I cycled in about a week. BUT every tank is different so it could easily be a couple weeks either way.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom