Ngara Flametail Peacock not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dakloom114

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

I have had a Ngara Flametail Peacock for about 2 months now. He has not grown at all and is very skinny. I do not think he is eating or is sick. Does anyone have abt suggestions on how to get him to eat?

Thanks

what's in the tank with him? how big is the tank? what do you feed them?

The tank is a 75 gallon. I feed him ciclid gold pellets, tubifex worms, and flake food. He is in the tank with:
2 lemon jakes
1 swallowtail
2 eureka red jakes
1 benga yellow
2 yellow fin mbuna

Well sounds like he has a lot of competition. when you feed does he try for the food? does he hide? if he does get food does he just chew it and spit it out? (but not actually eat any of it)

When he gets food he eats it but only if the other ciclids are not around. I got all my ciclids about 2.75 to 3 in and they have all grown since besides the flametail. The flametail is 2.75 inches and is showing good color.

sounds like he's getting bullied. so he is stressed.... stress kills. if you can move him to a tank by himself. if you have no other tanks add more hiding places. he needs a territory to feel comfortable

I had him in a 16 gallon aquarium by his self and he still wouldn't eat unless the food came to him and his almost all day.

Cichlids hide a lot especially when they are scared. You could redo you tank try and break it up make a specific territory for each fish or pair. If he is hiding any way you could hand feed him? Maybe get some krill or meal worms to hand feed him?

Ok so i just fed my fish and watched the flametail. He is active and doesnt appear being bullied. He did however spit out all the food he ate like you said. What does this mean?

ok did he do this. eat it spit it out and then go to a new piece like food ADD but never eating it almost like it's to big to swallow or something?

Yeah it kind of looked that way although i never seen him swallow it.

well my experience is EBJDs and that would tell me i had one with internal parasites. Not saying that is what your fish has, but not eating only leads to death. Do you still have the 16g?

if it is a parasite yes it would be. If you were seeing the white poo then i would be more worried. it may just be a picky eater. get a treat like frozen brine shrimp. see if he keeps it down. you are going to want the 16g working. if for no other reason saving money on meds in the future. Plus no reason to treat the fish that aren’t sick.

Ok. Thank you for your help ill will try the shrimp and see if that works. I hope he is just a picky eater.

Back
Top Bottom