Nippy Siamese Algae Eater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a SAE left over from my last tank (one of the few fish that survived the year with my mom ((I was at school))) and he's around 3". I know SAE are supposed to be very peaceful, but I also have some danios and some cardinal tetras in with it, and no damage has been caused, but occasionally, it chases them around (maybe 5 or so inches) before it gives up. I want to think it is just playing. I added 3 1.5" SAE, but it was alone in the tank for around 6 months (its mate jumped out while I was away) and I'm wondering if it developed some anti-social tendencies? The other surviving fish were 3 khuli loaches and 1 oto. I actually never actually saw it "bite" or even try, but it looks like its getting into the "stalking" position, like right before a bite. Then again it might be a fish playing, but because it is 3x bigger, it looks like aggression?

Actually I have read siamese algae eaters are supposed to get aggressive when they get older.

Edit: It could be a false siamese algae eater; I just found this for you:
Right now you are bound to think “Does it really matter if I get the true Siamese algae eater or the false one?”. The answer is that it very well might. The false Siamese algae eater is not as good an algae eater as the true one and more importantly is more aggressive towards other fish species than the Siamese algae eater. It is therefore much less suitable for a community aquarium with friendly fish.

courtesy of http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/algae-control/siamese.php

I meant to mention that it is a real SAE. (stripe continues through tail, 2 barbells (not pairs) clear fins, zigzag borders). Thanks for the suggestion though.

Back
Top Bottom