Nitrate high at source! Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magoofc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi so have been wondering why my nitrate levels were so high and now i think i have found the problem. I tested the water from the tap and it is reading around 20+ppm. I have been doing water changes like crazy recently to get the levels down. Has been around the 40ppm mark. Really frustrating!
I have a bio orb 30l tank with lots of plants and 3 platys 3 golden barbs 2 honey gourami's and 1 apple snail. I have been doing water changes a lot to keep the levels down. Have done the 40% to 20% method for a few days and this seems to be rather intense. Everyone seems really happy but feel sorry for the little guys. Have just done a really good spring clean of the media and pebbles too to remove any nasties.
Anyone have any suggestions? Am exhausted!

magoofc said:
Hi so have been wondering why my nitrate levels were so high and now i think i have found the problem. I tested the water from the tap and it is reading around 20+ppm. I have been doing water changes like crazy recently to get the levels down. Has been around the 40ppm mark. Really frustrating!
I have a bio orb 30l tank with lots of plants and 3 platys 3 golden barbs 2 honey gourami's and 1 apple snail. I have been doing water changes a lot to keep the levels down. Have done the 40% to 20% method for a few days and this seems to be rather intense. Everyone seems really happy but feel sorry for the little guys. Have just done a really good spring clean of the media and pebbles too to remove any nasties.
Anyone have any suggestions? Am exhausted!

When you say you cleaned the media did you do so in tap or tank water??

As long as the nitrates are below 40 ppm it won't be anything toxic for most fish.

cleaned the media in the tank water.
ok. do i have any other options in trying to lower the nitrate level?

Heavily planting the tank will reduce the nitrates naturally. There are some materials that can be used in the filter to reduce nitrates but I am not well versed in them, I prefer doing it naturally.

Just FYI...the no3 level may be something you want to look at more carefully for your own sake rather than the aquarium. The EPA lists 10ppm as the maximum containment level which they consider the safe threshold. We have another member dealing with a similar issue and recently contacted the Health Department about it-
Basic Information about Nitrate in Drinking Water | Basic Information about Regulated Drinking Water Contaminants | US EPA

As for the fish, I wouldn't be overly concerned, but I agree with jeta that plants are your best solution if you'd like them to be lower.

Toss some Hornwort in there. I've found it sucks up nitrates like a sponge.

And as Eco has posted above, I'd be more concerned with your health than the fish.

Children under 6 months(plus pregnant women) should not drink any of that water. It can cause blue baby syndrome. Anything over 10ppm is considered above safe levels. Boiling the water actually makes it worse. It causes a higher concentration of nitrates since the water boils off and leaves nitrates behind.

Out of curiosity, are you on a well or city water? If you are on city water, I'd call the water authority right away, as it should not be over 10ppm as per EPA regulations. If you are on a well, an R/O system may be recommended.

Back
Top Bottom