Nitrate issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mixer

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so, I did about a 90% PWC mainly because it had been 2 weeks since my last and the water was a bit green. Anyway all went well, however my water has a lot of chloramine in it that when it gets thru the nitrogen cycle is coming out as about 100 ppm of nitrate about 48 hrs later. This tank has been up and running about 3 months and is fully stocked. How can I get those nitrates down? Wen I do a PWC all I am doing is putting more chloramine in to get converted, so that just pushes the nitrates higher.

Confused, and bewildered,

Umm... Do a PWC. Could we have the rest of the water parameters? Also, what test kit are you using?

Mixer said:
Ok so, I did about a 90% PWC mainly because it had been 2 weeks since my last and the water was a bit green. Anyway all went well, however my water has a lot of chloramine in it that when it gets thru the nitrogen cycle is coming out as about 100 ppm of nitrate about 48 hrs later. This tank has been up and running about 3 months and is fully stocked. How can I get those nitrates down? Wen I do a PWC all I am doing is putting more chloramine in to get converted, so that just pushes the nitrates higher.

Confused, and bewildered,

Have you tested your tap water to see what your levels are pre conditioning?

I am using an API freshwater master kit and the other parameters are as follows:

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 100
Ph 7.6

I have not tested my tap water, pre prime, but I will.

Back
Top Bottom