Nitrate issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tottenham12712

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys,

Ive had my take setup for awhile 5-6 months

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20-30 or so
Phosphate: close to 0
Ph: 7.6
I dose 1ml of calcium per water change

My nitrates used to be higher, say almost 60-80 by the end of a week after a 50% water change, so gaining 30ppm in 7 days. I decided to rip my live plants out (they were cheap) because allege was ruining them. So upon doing that the amount of dirt that came out with my plants was insane, I was always gentle with the vaccum as I didnt want to hurt the roots of the plants. Apparently I did a pretty bad job though :banghead: So I vacuumed the gravel like crazy, and took a nasty amount of cr@p out. And did a 90%ish water change, my nitrates went down to 5-10.

Now one week later I did a Nitrate test and its at 20ppm or so. Keep in mind I have 21 fish and 3 apple snails in my 29 gallon my Rams are actually still in my 10 gal for quarantine. So once a week I need to change about 50-75% of my water just to keep my nitrates down. Ive bought a pump to make it really easy but im changing at least 15 gallons once a week.

My fish are super healthy and eat like crazy, I feed them for about 1 min at 8am and 1 min at 6pm.

Sorry for the long post but I was hoping for a few more pointers on how to possibly get my nitrates to grow a bit slower, I dont mind changing that much water but I rather not lol. My only other plan is to keep vacuuming the gravel like crazy every week for awhile to get all the rotted food, and other matter out. :thanks:

EDIT: forgot to add I have a marineland emperor 400 HOB

I have tanks with far less of a bioload and I still do a 50% water change weekly. Unless you heavily plant the tank with heavy feeders/fast growers, water changes are the only thing to export nitrates. I would just continue with 50% weekly water changes. If it spikes at 20 after a week, and a 50% change knocks it down to 10ppm, you are doing just fine.

I have tanks with far less of a bioload and I still do a 50% water change weekly. Unless you heavily plant the tank with heavy feeders/fast growers, water changes are the only thing to export nitrates. I would just continue with 50% weekly water changes. If it spikes at 20 after a week, and a 50% change knocks it down to 10ppm, you are doing just fine.

Ok fair enough, as long as that rise is pretty normal than Im good. Thanks!

Did I read correctly that you have an emperor 400 on a 29 gallon tank? Haha sorry I'm picturing a whirlpool right now

Did I read correctly that you have an emperor 400 on a 29 gallon tank? Haha sorry I'm picturing a whirlpool right now

Unlike alot of other filters the 400 does not move or pump water quickly, it pumps it in volume. Theres actually less of a whirlpool affect in my 29 gallon(relatively no whirlpool) than there is in my 10 gallon tank with its tiny filter. I bought the 400 because I knew I was going to over stock this tank a bit and wanted the extra filtration.

That's awesome, wish I had known that when I bought the 350, would have just bumped it up.

I do 25-30% WC per week, and still have a nitrate level between 30-40ppm. I have considered doing 50%, but am concerned that would 'shock' the fish. Or, if I treat the tap the same way every time, will I be ok?

I try to do the largest change I can, just make sure the fish still have water above and beneath their fins and you should be fine. I have a 55g and generally try to change about 70% every week. Just try to get the tap as close to your tank temp as you can by feel and just go for it, I've never had an issue with the water change temp, my fish actually like to swim through the water I dump in. Just make sure it's not too much hotter than your tank

I try to do the largest change I can, just make sure the fish still have water above and beneath their fins and you should be fine. I have a 55g and generally try to change about 70% every week. Just try to get the tap as close to your tank temp as you can by feel and just go for it, I've never had an issue with the water change temp, my fish actually like to swim through the water I dump in. Just make sure it's not too much hotter than your tank

Cool...

One more question on this. Right now, with my relatively low volume changes (mine is a 56g tank), I slowly add in my Prime with a dropper as the new water is pouring in. With a larger volume change, is it better to dose the tank before, during (the way I am now), or after the new water has been added?

You can give the entire dose to the tank before putting the new water in or you can give the correct dose to the buckets of water before you dump them. I used to put the correct dose in the bucket, then fill it up, then put the water in the tank. Now that I use an aqueon water changer, I give the full dose to my tank then fill with fresh water

If your fish aren't suffering then its relatively safe to assume that what you're doing is fine, but those are the only two methods I use.

I don't do buckets any more, I run a line from the tap right into the tank. I was actually going to build a dosimeter for Prime to add x drops/minute based on the flow rate into the tank, but that's more trouble than it's worth, especially since I'll be switching to RODI water soon (I have another thread on this transition in the forum here).

dmolavi said:

I don't do buckets any more, I run a line from the tap right into the tank. I was actually going to build a dosimeter for Prime to add x drops/minute based on the flow rate into the tank, but that's more trouble than it's worth, especially since I'll be switching to RODI water soon (I have another thread on this transition in the forum here).

Haha yea way way to much trouble, just dose the full amount into the tank then turn your tap on. No need to keep doing the dropper thing

Back
Top Bottom