NitrAte question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XimeD

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, my tank has recently finished cycling (after 2 months, I went the cycling with fish route cause I didn't know any better, its been 1.5 weeks since it cycled).

Last PWC was 50% 12 days ago (changed it due to seeing 0.25ppm nitrItes)

Since then I have had 0 or <0.25ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrItes and mostly 0 or <5ppm nitrAtes. I have been testing daily and 2 days ago I saw 15-20ppm nitrAtes and was planning to do a PWC yesterday but I retested and nitrAtes were 5ppm and today they are at almost 0ppm (nitrItes and ammonia are 0ppm). I saw the nitrAte increase after feeding more than I usually do (I had added an african dwarf frog, but my red tail tinfoil barbs would eat everything before he could eat so I took him back to the store and got a peacock spiny eel instead)

My tank is a planted 20gal with 3 melon swords, 1 bamboo, 1 moneywort, 1 anubias and 2 jungle vals. I have read that plants will consume nitrAte but that fast?

Also, if my plants are in fact taking care of the nitrAtes how often should I do PWCs?

The only things I have added to the tank is some API leaf zone 5 days ago and some nutrafin cycle when I added the ADF.

PS: I know all those fish will get too big for 20gal, planning on upgrading to a 75gal in a few months.

Thanks for any replies

What kind of testing medium are you using? If you are using test strips, they can be inaccurate and give wildly varying readings. Liquid drop tests are more accurate.

Also, you should do a minimum 25% pwc weekly, more if your tinfoils start to outgrow the 20 tank.

Is the bamboo like those lucky bamboo they sell at the grocery store? I use those in my goldie tank and they so keep the nitrates at almost 0.

When moneywort gets to growing, it is also a huge nitrate eater.

You should still do a 25% pwc weekly whether you have nitrates or not.

I got the bamboo at petco but it looks no different from the ones they sell at grocery stores.

The moneywort is not doing that well, my barbs are eating it.

Thanks that makes it clear, I wasn't sure how often to do those PWC with no nitrates.

Yeah, those tinfoils are something else. I had just one (long story why) for almost 3 years, who committed suicide when I was moving him to a bigger tank a few months back. They are voracious.

25% weekly is good fish husbandry. Nitrates aren't the only thing that can build up in the tank.

Any algae yet?

A little I think (there are some dark green spots on one leaf of one of the swords) , the pleco might be keeping the algae in check.

Sounds like you are on track then. You might want to wipe off whatever algae is on the plants when you do PWC. It can get out of control very quickly and smother plants, even with a pleco.

Will do, thanks so much for the advice =)

Wait!

I can put the bamboo I have in my tank? Completely under water and it will not die? I bought it at the Walgreens as few months ago.
I have a little bamboo, about 6 inches high and it sits in a little vase outside of the tank.
I saw bamboo at Petco, but I figured that they did not care if the bamboo died as long as it looked good.
?

I have the top part of my bamboo sticking out of the water (maybe 1in or so) and my bamboo has been in there for 3 months and doing fine.

Back
Top Bottom