Nitrate question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aleximler

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just started my 10 gallon nano reef yesterday's and tested today, the nitrates are at 80 ppm is that normal??

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It depends what was your base rock did it have a lot of die off what water did you use was it an existing tank that got moved and what test kit are you using to test with.

Either way, that number is high. A reef tank shouldn't go over 40 IMO.

Thankfully the tank isn't up and running yet. Make sure there is an ammonia source present to cycle the tank.

No I used live sand, 5 pieces of live rock and 3 pieces of dry rock, I have 2 red leg hermits and a yellow tail damsel for the ammonia source to help cycle the tank. It's currently been up and running for 3 days

No I used live sand, 5 pieces of live rock and 3 pieces of dry rock, I have 2 red leg hermits and a yellow tail damsel for the ammonia source to help cycle the tank. It's currently been up and running for 3 days

that is baffling that the nitrate would be so high so fast.
Did you use tap water? That is the only source for that much nitrate that fast that comes to mind.

What is the ammonia and nitrite levels at? It would stand to reason they would/should be elevated as well at this point.

I suggest testing the source water.

Back
Top Bottom