Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rupp3322

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have had 29 gallon tank with about 18-20 fish. Never had 1 fish die and parameters were great all along. Since then i decided to transfer all these fish to my 20 gallon hex tank so that i could use my 29 as a qt tank for my 60 gal fowlr tank. I know that i'm pushing it with this many fish in a 20 gal but i test frequently and do weekly siphoning. I havent lost any fish, but when i tested before my weekly water change, nitrates were over 100 ppm! Ammonia and nitrite were 0. So i siphoned and did about a 70 % water change and tested about 2 hours later nd nitrates came down to between 20 and 40 ppm. Just wondering if i should do like 20% changes daily until i get this down the rest of the way? I realize that nitrates are gonna be a battle with this many fish.

I would do a 30-50 percent water change to get them lower. As you said, nitrates are going to be hard to keep down. Frequently test and do water changes as needed.

Should i do one right away even though i just did one a few hours ago?

Because the 20 gal is a hex whichisnt really suitable for a sw qt.

Water Changes

I have had 29 gallon tank with about 18-20 fish. Never had 1 fish die and parameters were great all along. Since then i decided to transfer all these fish to my 20 gallon hex tank so that i could use my 29 as a qt tank for my 60 gal fowlr tank. I know that i'm pushing it with this many fish in a 20 gal but i test frequently and do weekly siphoning. I havent lost any fish, but when i tested before my weekly water change, nitrates were over 100 ppm! Ammonia and nitrite were 0. So i siphoned and did about a 70 % water change and tested about 2 hours later nd nitrates came down to between 20 and 40 ppm. Just wondering if i should do like 20% changes daily until i get this down the rest of the way? I realize that nitrates are gonna be a battle with this many fish.

Hello rupp...

20 small fish in a 20 G tank isn't too many. If you have decent filtration and change out half the tank water every week, your fish will be fine. If this move is permanent, then you need to consider any fry that may eventually create a water chemistry problem.

B

Back
Top Bottom