Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matman

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, my tanks Nitrates for the last month have been steady at 40. I just tested today and they have jumped to 80. This makes me nervous considering i just added 2 peppermint shrimp. Is there any way to bring the nitrates down? Could the level have gone up because i added the shrimp and it will go back down? I have also heard of live plants being a good way to control nitrates.

TIA

Matt

Plants are a decent option, but water changes will help to solve the problem faster. I'm assuming you are asking about the 12 gallon in your nano cube. I'd change ~ 3 gallons or so today, then maybe saturday do another 2-3 gallon change. Just keep monitoring the nitrates.
HTH
-Stewie

As many of the great people have told at AA have told me you need to find the source of the problem. High nitrates can be caused by overstocking you tank or overfeeding. How often and how much do you feed your fish? Try cutting you feed to a light feeding every other day and see if that helps with your nitrate problem.

Water changes are your best way to get them down. Use a good quality RO/DI water. You could add some more LR, about 10-15lbs. How do you have the filtration compartments in the back of the nano set up? What is your substrate?

i still have the sponges in the filtration compartments...lack of sufficient funds to purchas a lot of live rock to put back there...Substrate...i think live sand, is that right? I just added 2 more lbs of LR.

Try rinsing the sponges in SW and putting them back. Are you using the ceramic rings and bioballs that came with the unti?

I just checked my levels again, and they are down a little bit from 80...i would say they are around 60 now. Hopefully this trend continues!

What would i have to get my tank too before adding a brittle star? Also, can i add a brittle star, or is my tank too full as it is?

I would ditch the bioballs and ceramic rings. they are a nitrate factory. Replace them with LR rubble which is pretty cheap or free at most LFS. You should see a dramatic decrease after that. Just do not do it all at once.

If you dont have a protein skimmer, I would get one. They will lower nitrates quickly and well.
That would require some pretty serious modification on a Nono Cube. While skimmer are great at reducing nitrates, LR and frequent water changes will ussually do the trick in a nano.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom