Nitrites high, nitrates low round 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes I am doing fishless I was dosing ammo to 4ppm he said it won't die off I'm gonna leave OT be for a few days test my nitrites see if there going down and go from there maybe add 1ppm ammo just to keep BB happy that's what another guy suggested I'm gonna combine there 2 ideas it's still little early in my cycle so I'm not worried about the nitrites being high was mainly asking if my cycle wad doing ok

Saturday I'll check levels see what's what there's no rush to get fish that's y I'm doing fishless want everything right b4 I get fish

I decided to just check my levels today, 2 weeks into Fishless cycle, ammo 0 I haven't added any since Monday as suggested by another member so no to add to my nitrites, nitrites still at 5ppm I think hard to tell looks darker than 2ppm, nitrates still at 10ppm same member had said they'll probably stay there because of the plants, so I guess I'll still just let it be check again on Saturday probably Friday though just cause I'm curious. This sound ok to everyone or???

Sounds good to me. If your nitrites still high by the end of the week then do your PWC and let it run some more.

Do no more than a 50% change, you wanna give the nitrite eating BB a chance to gobble up what's being produced by the ammonia eating BB.

Btw what do you use for water testing and conditioning?

Jlk is not a "he," just so you know.

Also, there is not a point to changing the water through your normal fishless cycle. The reason to do a pwc is because the params hurt the fish. No fish = no pwc (unless the cycle stalls, but this one isn't).

Ok, so what are your params right now? And how long since you last dosed ammo?

I disagree that adding ammonia will always give you a nitrite reading. Fish poop all the time, and that always adds ammonia, but that doesn't meant that a cycled tank will always show nitrites when you test it.

I think that continuing to dose once the ammo drops is a good idea, like jlk suggested. Just dose to 1ppm. That will keep all the BB happy and growing. It will also slow down the growth of the colony that feeds on the nitrites if you have fewer nitrites coming in. If you were to just leave it and not dose, that an slow everything down. They will populate because there are nutrients available to do so.

EDIT: That said, there are multiple ways to do a fishless cycle. That is why you are getting multiple opinions. Not all cycles go on the same calendar. The BB will generally do their thing without too much aid, and it honestly sounds like you are off to a good start.

Last edited:
Reactions: jlk
Thanks on clearing the first part up I was given bad info. I'll test my water right now for you post it in a minute, I dosed the ammo on Monday morning up to 4ppm that was last time

Ph7.8, ammo0, nitrites hard to tell without daylight it looks black almost so maybe 1000000ppm, nitrates 10ppm

Back
Top Bottom