Nitrites spiked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thumper828

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I believe my nitrites are on the way down. Nitrates are up to around 20+. Ammonia goes down pretty quick about 2-3ppm in 24 hrs. Looks like Im getting closer!! What can I expect?

another thing I need a little tip on.... I had to do a couple big water changes , to get nitrites down, added 3 more plants also. I got a little of the bacteria bloom goin on, not to worried about that. Same thing happened when I first put the water in, lasted a couple days...but, If I added some flourish while the water is still cloudy, since it is putting trace nutrients in the water, will it increase the duration of the bacteria bloom? Would it cause the "bloom" when water is clear?

Flourish should not affect the bloom. The bacteria from a bloom feed on dissolved organics (such as ammonia, fish waste, dead plant material, etc). As you are dosing ammonia (which plants feed on), adding the flourish is up to you. Once the tank is fully cycled and the bloom has cleared, flourish will not cause a bloom either so no worries! Most of us with plants add fertilizers regularly in one form or another and blooms are never an issue.

In respect to your cycle, if ammonia is dropping regularly and nitrates are starting to increase, things are right on track!! Just keep an eye on your ph because as your cycle ramps up and carbonates are being used up quickly, you may notice the ph start to drop. If this happens, do a big wc asap to prevent a ph crash and cycle stall. :)

Flourish should not affect the bloom. The bacteria from a bloom feed on dissolved organics (such as ammonia, fish waste, dead plant material, etc). As you are dosing ammonia (which plants feed on), adding the flourish is up to you. Once the tank is fully cycled and the bloom has cleared, flourish will not cause a bloom either so no worries! Most of us with plants add fertilizers regularly in one form or another and blooms are never an issue.

In respect to your cycle, if ammonia is dropping regularly and nitrates are starting to increase, things are right on track!! Just keep an eye on your ph because as your cycle ramps up and carbonates are being used up quickly, you may notice the ph start to drop. If this happens, do a big wc asap to prevent a ph crash and cycle stall. :)

Just did a 75% wc. nitrites were through the roof,5+....nitrates 40ish. gonna let the tank kinda settle for a bit. Add some ammo then test everything.

Back
Top Bottom