No CO2 Planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t57spikes

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anyone had success with a planted tank without using CO2, and only using root tablets and dosing liquid Ferts with medium high light and a sand substrate not made for plant growth?

I have a tank with no co2. I don't know if you would say it's a success but the plants are growing away. Not as quick as if there was co2. My substrate is just regular gravel.
I have Anubis barteri, Amazon swords , Java fern, Java moss and Christmas moss that all seem happy and healthy. My light isn't high though it's about 2 watts per gallon

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Then i may give them a try. I have a 35 that i want to do planted with but im setting up my 75 african cichlid taak right now and im pouring all of my money into that so i was going to do a silk plant in the 35 but ill try live if it will grow.

I did have my tank running with no co2 and reasonably planted with a range of med to low plants. But a range of problems including algae and just a lack of plant growth resulted in me switching to a diy co2 system. Since all my problems I had previous have been resolved

Ofcourse you can! Just pick easy beginner plants and dose some liquid ferts/roottabs from time to time... Not much can go wrong then! :) good luck

Sent per three-eyed raven...

You can definitely have a planted tank without co2. Algae may be a problem but just keep the lights on for a shorter period and feeding amount in check. Some cheap, very easy beginner plants are anubias, Java Fern, most mosses, Amazon sword, crypts, and anacharis/hornwort (make sure these 2 are legal in your area). The swords and crypts will need root tabs to stay healthy and grow.

Sent with my fingers

Your Tank

Has anyone had success with a planted tank without using CO2, and only using root tablets and dosing liquid Ferts with medium high light and a sand substrate not made for plant growth?

Hello t...

If you keep easy plants that don't require special treatment, then you can have a nicely planted tank. No commercial fertilizers or fancy substrate is needed.

I keep Anubias nana and nangi, Java fern, Christmas and Singapore moss, Hornwort, Brazilian water weed and Pennywort. These don't require planting and will grow fine in subdued light and just the ferts the fish provide. I keep the water clean and trim the plants sometimes.

That's pretty much it.

B

With med/high light you will need a solid/consistent carbon source, look into metricide 14 on amazon. Algae can get out of hand quick with that much light. Also splitting the photoperiod will help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I run a 13 Watt aquatop UV filter in my 35, shouldn's that tank care of any possible algea problem?

Only free floating algae, the glass, plants and decor is fair game..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Plants need light, carbon and nutrients. Light should be the limiting factor, so plants should always have sufficient carbon and nutrients for the amount of light they receive. High light with no CO2 and little fertilizers will most certainly give you algea problems.

Back
Top Bottom