No One Does Under-Gravel Anymore?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mael

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've only been lurking for a few days and thrown out a couple searches, but it doesn't seem like many people are using under-gravel filters. Is there some outstanding reason that I'm simply not aware of?

I have always liked the look of the two bubblers in the tank.

I have three extra 10g to play around with (one of them so old it has chrome corners and a slate bottom) and I thought about setting up an u-g filter in one of them.

Experienced people with opinions out there? Or just regular people with opinions. Or just people...

A lot of us have live pants with big root systems. They would clog the UG filter up. Also I have just had bad experience with them clogging and not really helping the tank. Another reason is people are using sand an a substrate.

Yeah, I plan to use a sand substrate in one of the tanks, but I have plenty of extra gravel around.

I see there are even u-g kits for five-gallon tanks out there. Too bad there are about two fish you can put in them and I have access to neither. ~_~

Have you ever torn down a tank that used an UG filter? I bought a 29g from someone and when I tore it down at his house it was nasty underneath, had a slime/sludge crap, they guy had problems keeping his parameters in check and gave up on the hobby. After I seen that I won't use one.

No. My dad had an u-g setup on his 55 when I was a kid, and I know he eventually gave it up.

I don't honestly know how much maintenance is involved. So I figured I'd ask some questions. I think.

I've only been lurking for a few days and thrown out a couple searches, but it doesn't seem like many people are using under-gravel filters. Is there some outstanding reason that I'm simply not aware of?

I have always liked the look of the two bubblers in the tank.

I have three extra 10g to play around with (one of them so old it has chrome corners and a slate bottom) and I thought about setting up an u-g filter in one of them.

Experienced people with opinions out there? Or just regular people with opinions. Or just people...

Just noticed the parts about the Metaframe aquarium, I have 3 myself. If you have problems with it holding water send me a PM and I can give you some pointers, they are made different than a modern tank.
You can use a sponge filter with an air pump and you'll get bubbles and you won't get the sludge build up underneath.

Back
Top Bottom