Nocturnal Amano shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seasick Sausage

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,
I got some Amano shrimp about 6 weeks ago put them in my tank and that's the last I've seen of them. They're still alive it's just I have to shine a light in about midnight to see them, usually see about 3 or 4 of them picking away at the gravel or sat on one of the plant leaves. Is this nocturnal behaviour normal or do they fear their tank mates? I have Rosy barbs, Odessa barbs, black ruby barbs, silver sharks, 1 golden panchax and a sailfin plec.
Thanks for any info.

Definitely ...... both.

Actually, shrimp are 24hr feeding machines. However shrimp are also near the bottom of the food chain with fish in the tank .. and they know it. So, they are more apt to come out during lights out while fish sleep. It's the same in my 75gal, only the larger of my Amano's occasionally venture out during lights on. Shrimp only tanks are the best way to have shrimp out in the open.

You could however, consider getting Bamboo Shrimp. They can get over 2 inches long and are generally large enough to not be bothered by your fish. My two bamboo are always out in the open and completely oblivious to my barbs.

You could however, consider getting Bamboo Shrimp.

Spooky, I went past an aquatics store today while i as at work and called in to see if they had any rock shrimps ( bamboo shrimps are called rock or mountain shrimps over here in the UK ) but they didn't have any in until the next delivery later this week.

Disappointed about the Amano, read quite a bit about them before I got them but never read anywhere that they might only come out at night, waited months too until I knew my tank water was just right. Although on a positive note my tank substrate is spotless now every week they seem to eat everything so at least I'm getting some use out of them.
Thanks for your reply anyway.

Shrimp may hide when they are in a tank with fish. I have a shrimp only tank with amanos and RCS and the shrimp are visible all the time.

There are folks who say that the only "shrimp-safe" fish are otos.

Back
Top Bottom