Noisy EuroReef Protein Skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EyeInSky

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello Everyone,

Still struggling with this hobby, but wanted to ask a quick question:

A while back I purchased a used Protein Skimmer (EuroReef). It's pretty big as I believe it was designed for 150-200 gallon tank size. Mine is only 60, but adequately fits inside the sump and seems to work really well. My only complaint is the same complaint from the very beggining... and that is the "perculating" / "gurgling" noise it makes. There is an air intake hose that sticks upward so the pump mixes air and water.

Is there any methods that can greatly reduce this noise? I'm not sure if it's a defect of the skimmer itself or if it's normal, but this noise can easily be heard 25-30 feet away and is pretty annoying.

Thanks in advance!

Some skimmers come with a muffler of sorts that connects to the end of that line. You might try some DIY and construct one of these to fit yours, without compromising the air draw, of course.
See, this vertex skimmer has one at the top of the tube-
VX-OM150.jpg

Hi Doug,

So is the perculating/gurgling sound normal? Seems to me it could be a lot quieter. I wonder if there is a way to order the muzzle from Vertex? Do you think purchasing extra long air tubing (like... 4x-5x the length) may dampen the noise? I've heard reports that the sound is not only quiter, but the pitch much deeper and with both benefits combined makes the sound significantly quieter. But I wouldn't object to doing both methods!

Whatever you do, you need to make sure you aren't starving the skimmer of air. I guess try it and see. I don't see how it would be quieter if it's just a bit longer.

I think the theory behind it is like a musical instrument. The shorter the tubing path, the higher the pitch. The longer the tubing path the deeper the pitch. As long as the length isn't pinched, the airflow should still work. But if the perculating vibration sound originates from the spinning wheel + air intake... (in theory) the sound should become softer and deeper across a longer length of tube.

Hey, it's worth a shot. I think I will just spend a few bucks and try it and see. But that muzzle on the end sounds good too.

Back
Top Bottom