non photogenic gel blob

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

juice28

Aquarium Advice Freak
i recently picked some new Lr cleaned it up and all, and a couple days later i notice this translucent gel looking blob on the under side of it(its kinda flat so it sits like a shelf) Ive tried to get pictures of it countless times but being that its basically clear, unless you know what ya looking at you don't really see it.. i know where it is lol but in a photo it seems to be a lost cause, best way i can describe its.. if you've ever seen one of those small but really thick spiderwebs that's in the corner of a room...imaging it soaking wet kinda whit but mostly clear.. i tried flipping the rock over and its harder to see when the direct light hits it and when i took the rock out it seemed to disappear completely..almost like it was a thin membrane type sac that filled with water. I'm still working on getting a picture where you can actually notice it but so far all attempts have failed miserably... it just blends in with the rock its attached to and i noticed that there are about 3-4 spots on the bottom of the rock with this...whatever it is... they're not big and don't seem to be spreading and all i have are a couple hermits and nassarius snails b/c the tank is only been up for about a month so i don't know if they'd cause a problem. I'm thinking(hoping) some type of harmless sponge(hopefully) does this sound remotely familiar to anyone?

It sounds like it is a sponge . But with out photos I am only hazzarding a guess . If you can get pics please do ..
If it is the sponge , it is harmless and a filter feeder . Look for little openings that kinda look like a featherduster tube with out the feather duster if you have those on it it is a sponge ...

I finally got a good picture of the blob

this is the infamous blob.. well the most visible part.. it appears to be the center of a "web looking film this covering about a 4 inch section of the bottom of the LR so far it hasn't spread

Attachments

• noname3.jpg
    noname3.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 138
I had a few different things on some rock that looked like what you are describin. I have no idea what to call it though. I had one that was gray and abou half the size of my palm, and another that was yellow, which was much smaller. They didn't feel slimy or anything, but were'nt rock hard either. They had a "texture" to them. I cut a small piece off of the grey one to see how it would react and there was no visible reaction. I figrured it was just something that wass there and I just left it alone and wath it grow. It stays to the inersides of the rock. I didn't notice any openings on it.

Back
Top Bottom